Ignoring bracketed words/phrase in a Hebrew construct search

Brian K. Mitchell

Question

How do I Ignore bracketed words/phrases in a Hebrew construct search?

(and vice versa: How can I search on the qere (and/or) bracketed words/phrases and ignore the ketiv?)

Description:

This query attempts to find every verse in the Hebrew Bible where there is an occurrence of two atnach accents.

Results:

Five verses namely:

(1) Gen. 35:22

(2) Ex. 20:2

(3) Ex. 20:5

(4) 2 Kings. 23:10 (false hit: picks up the bracketed [qere] as well as the ketiv)

(5) 1 Chr. 10:1 ( the only verse in the early BHS printings and the Westminster morphology were two consecutive/repetitive atnach appear. The Leningrad Codex has an atnach followed by a mhuppak accent mark).

It is easy to read through and eliminate hits I believe to be false or irrelevant. However, I am curious if there is a way to configure the construct search engine so that it automatically ignores words/phrases in brackets?

Screen Shot / picture:

post-31817-0-53981300-1470408168_thumb.png 

Any help, hints, or constructive advice (pun intended) would be greatly appreciated,

Brian

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 1

Try to make a normal search with the Hebrew text, where you exclude the words in brackets. And then open the construct search and make your search.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Fabian is correct, the setting for the bracketed words option will apply to the Construct search which is linked to that tab.

• Like 1

Thank you (plural) Fabian and Helen so much both for answering my question. 

Works like a charm, I did not even have to execute a search in the 'search entry area' of the main search tab. I just set the linked tab in the 'search entry area' to ignore bracketed words/phrases.

post-31817-0-37013900-1470459761_thumb.png

I knew the windows were linked, but it had not dawned on me that the 'search parameters/Conditions' of the search entry area were linked to query in the construct search window. I am a little slow. But, this is great!

Thank you both!

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

This is an old thread but I am using an old version of Accordance. The answer provided wasn't solving my problem. I was searching  as always with the construct pane. I  dragged a verb icon into a column and then dragged a  character icon  under it in the same column.  I put a open bracket in the character box and dragged a negation over it. This allowed me to search for a verb which excluded a leading bracket. This appears to work for ignoring hits with leading brackets. I am not posting an image because version 9.6.8 would only be confusing.

On 10/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, c. stirling bartholomew said:

This is an old thread but I am using an old version of Accordance. The answer provided wasn't solving my problem. I was searching  as always with the construct pane. I  dragged a verb icon into a column and then dragged a  character icon  under it in the same column.  I put a open bracket in the character box and dragged a negation over it. This allowed me to search for a verb which excluded a leading bracket. This appears to work for ignoring hits with leading brackets. I am not posting an image because version 9.6.8 would only be confusing.

Hi Stirling. The above description certainly works in Accordance 14 even though it is an old thread. While it may not be useful to you on v9 (I will refrain from asking why), this is how you do it in Acc 14. And then is shot if searching only the qere. (ie only bracketed words)

ONLY ketiv

Screenshot2023-10-17at11_19_45.thumb.png.fcd89a003f7edba90a1b5787d1ecd027.png

only qere

Screenshot2023-10-17at11_21_25.thumb.png.be243d594429243663337cd4965d3139.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Hebrew aficionados wanted to have an on/off switch for bracketed words. They got their wish. Responding to user requests is good. Eventually the software becomes unusable. Winchester House comes to mind.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

Winchester House comes to mind.

I searched but I could not find any software of Bible program by the name of Winchester House?

7 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

I searched but I could not find any software of Bible program by the name of Winchester House?

It is a metaphor for structures that grow over time by an endless succession of  additions in a chaotic fashion. The woman who was driving this process kept adding on to the house over several decades. The story is about an heir to the Winchester estate. The house is in San Jose CA.

Microsoft Word was joked about in the late 80s because it became a monstrosity where people had to receive layers of advanced training to be able to master the chaotic nature of the beast. Word 5.1 became a legendary "golden edition" as the best and people kept it running as long as it was possible because things went down hill from there.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

2 hours ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

It is a metaphor for structures that grow over time by an endless succession of  additions in a chaotic fashion. The woman who was driving this process kept adding on to the house over several decades. The story is about an heir to the Winchester estate. The house is in San Jose CA.

Also sounds like the Sayer Estate in the Hardy Boys "The Four-Headed Dragon" volume.