#146) Customizing Workspaces

Timothy Jenney

Custom Workspaces are a great way to increase our productivity in Accordance. They are like being able to instantly rearrange your study to work on another project! check out the latest podcast for six simple steps to creating your own:

http://accordancefiles2.com/podcasts/p146_customizingworkspaces.mp4

Dr. J.,

Could you please provide a vimeo link for this?

Thanks,

Eric

Nice podcast, Dr. J.  Even though many long-term Accordance users do have a favorite way to set about a particular study, it is still helpful to review the basics – there may be a better way.  

This podcast made me think about my mono-chrome set-up:  my Texts & Tools all have the same background color, text color, and font.  While I really like the 'calmness' of this (I really don't need more distraction!), I think maybe going with a lighter or darker background for one type may be better.  It's also nice that I can give it a try without messing up what I've got going now.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I find subtle changes help my mind subconciously recognise the various sections and their purposes.

For example all my my original language texts I set with a background as "parchment" as opposed to "book" for english language texts.

For my tools I tend to use "newsprint" or "white" as the background. I also drop the text size a point or two and reduce the line spacing. Subconsciously my mind then seems to render them as more akin to footnotes and there less as a distraction.

I have my info pane set to "blue" to pop it out when I am using it.

I also find myself using reading mode a lot more than I used to and have found it helpful for really getting my mind focussed on the text.

I also have hidden instant details and the toolbar to reduce visual clutter (and slowly training my brain as to the keyboard shortcuts for toggling them on and off).

One feature that would be nice to have is the ability to be able to toggle or minimise parallel texts. Accordance really shines on large screens (I have a 27 inch monitor at my desk for this reason) but things can get a bit tight when on the road.

Anyhow attached a screenshot of my sermon workspace as an example of some of these customisations.

post-33308-0-58507200-1471217321_thumb.png

• Like 2

Michael – interesting.  Even though you have several background colors, your workspace does not look 'busy.'  

I, too, reduced point size for Tools in my workspace.  However, I have old eyes and can't go too small.  Additionally, I have found that pretty generous leading helps – I use 27% on Tools, 25% on Texts, but only 15% on User Notes.

And I like blue.  Here's a shot of my workspace.  (By the way, I don't prepare sermons, I listen to them.)  This works well at home.  Away from home, I move the ID window to the bottom & eliminate Highlights.  I mostly highlight Tools, and add Highlights to Texts where there are textual or translational issues.

post-330-0-41660100-1471260881_thumb.jpg

I have found that very high contrast, like black on white, causes eye strain for me.  If I soften it just a bit, I do better.  Maybe that will not be as much of an issue post-cataract surgery (not needed quite yet).

• Like 1

I use the "Elegance" theme (with some slight modifications) for both my texts and my tools. I find that it helps me slow down and avoid the pitfall of rushing through the text. And the contrasting colors help me distinguish between texts and tools. I think I've hit on the perfect combination.

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-15%20at%208.14.3

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

:-) My eyes are bleeding, Mark!  ;-)

• Like 8

Mark – That wouldn't just slow me down, it would bring me to a screeching halt.

• Like 4

Isn't it great the range of customisations that can be made in Accordance. 

Mark - That scheme wouldn't work for me but glad that it helps you :-)

Julia - I tend to have my MacBook screen brightness set to slightly higher than 50% and the contrast works well without to much strain. Your setup has got me thinking about customising a second sermon workspace for my larger desktop.

• Like 2

Mark, that so reminds me of something one of my dtp students presented as an assignment to me (though they used that funny typewriter font where no character had the same baseline).

Clearly something to do with youthfulness!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

So I got a bit distracted today and made some more customizations to my "Sermon" workspace today.

Sorry Mark but your colour scheme didn't make the cut.

Basically I reduced the size of my study bible, reduced the size of the Outlines/NET Notes pane, added a tab setup for my preferred commentary (my recently purchased Understanding the Bible set) and added a tab for research since I don't have the toolbar enabled.

Anyhow I came across this piece of wisdom (didn't seem to make the cut for the ESV permanent edition though):-

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many customisations to workspaces there is no end; and little study is accomplished resulting in a weariness of the flesh."

post-33308-0-24414900-1471349571_thumb.png

Edited by Michael Hunt
  • Like 2

I suspect that Mark has been pulling our collective leg. Certainly generated a fun thread, however.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1