Highlighting in iOS

Benjamin Gladd

Tweaking the highlighting in the Accordance iOS app would take reading on mobile devices to the next level. I enjoy using the iOS app in class or at home, but highlighting text is a two-step process. Perhaps Accordance can emulate what Logos, ibooks, kindle and others do. I'm attaching a picture of what I mean.

Thanks for all your hard work!

post-30071-0-27826200-1471611756_thumb.png

Hey Benjamin, 

This is something that we've talk about internally and we have plans for active highlighting in the future. Not sure when we'll implement it at this time, but it's on our list for a future release.

Thanks for the feedback,

Chris

• Like 1

That's great news, Chris! Thanks for the reply!

When Accordance implements this feature, I'll be more willing to invest in ebooks on the Accordance platform. I've talked to a number of my students, and they feel the same way. They typically buy books on Logos for reading, and buy modules on Accordance for research and writing. 

I recently did a Sunday School series on "how to study your Bible" to a class of 60-75 adults. I demonstrated to them how to use the Accordance iOS app on my phone, and many of them downloaded the app as a result. But the highlighting issue in the Accordance app was still a bit clunky for the class. For what it's worth, I think that streamlining the highlighting feature both on the iOS app and the desktop would be a huge benefit to all. 

As a seminary prof, I use Accordance in almost all my lectures, and in most of those, I use the highlighting feature. I think it's essential for  teaching and writing. 

Thanks for listening!

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight Benjamin and for using and exposing your students to Accordance! We'll have a meeting soon about new features and I'll be sure to bring this up and reference your message.

Chris

Thanks so much, Chris!

In that vein, I wonder if it would be possible to embed highlighting colors in the toolbar in the desktop app, so I don't have to open up a palette each time. Just an idea.

Thanks!

Edited by Benjamin Gladd

No problem. I'm the iOS guy so I can't answer that one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When Accordance implements this feature, I'll be more willing to invest in ebooks on the Accordance platform. I've talked to a number of my students, and they feel the same way. They typically buy books on Logos for reading, and buy modules on Accordance for research and writing. 

This describes me exactly. I've stopped buying books on Accordance because the reading experience is so painful. 

3 things that would win me back:

- page flipping

- quick highlight

- justified text

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I concur with all the above. Basic highlighting should be a one step process in iOS  and Desktop, please:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed.

(...and if you are going to limit the use of alpha/numeric symbols to a single character - please go all the way to Z -->currently stops at J?).

Essentially folks an overhaul is due ;)

Edited by Drew_A

• 1 month later...

Very nice update!! Thanks so much for listening to the community!

• Like 1

Loving the new highlighting, thanks for the update! One question of clarification:

Previously when highlighting a text, we had the option to highlight a portion or to highlight the entire verse. If we highlighted the verse, it would show up no matter the translation we were using, but that was not the case for when we would highlight a portion of the verse. With this update, it seems we have the chance to highlight the "verse numbers" (which in the past was the way to highlight a verse across translations) AND a small portion of the verse. Will these highlights still show up no matter the translation if we highlight the verse numbers or do we have to be intentional to highlight the entire verse (including punctuation at the end)? Or should I just use the active highlighting feature for non-text modules?

Thanks again!

With active highlighting turned on, highlighting across part or all of two or more verses will only only display the highlighting in the selected translation. You'll need to select the verse reference and select "Highlight Verse/s" to highlight the verse/s across multiple translations. 

With active highlighting turned off, highlighting across part or all of two or more verses will highlight the entire verse/s, and will display across multiple translations.

• Like 1