Drew_A

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Today, 12:51 PM

Hello,

As I do have BDAG now, would having the "middle" version be a better compliment than the complete as a newer student to Greek? One review said that the complete was 'worth it in the long run' but it seems to offer (like BDAG ) an exhaustive overview which might be overkill.

If not LS for a complement to BDAG, any other essential Lexicons?

Thanks,

Drew

#2 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted Today, 02:33 PM

The key factors to remember is that Liddell & Scott is more of a classical Greek Lexicon than a Koine Greek Lexicon. This does limit its usefulness when discussing Koine (Biblical Greek). With that said, most lexicons on Koine do only focus on Greek words in the New Testament, so if you need something that branches out, you may want to invest in Liddell and Scott. The intermediate Greek Lexicon may provide some use, but I would suggest getting other resources instead. Cost always being a factor, I would say while learning Greek, you don't really need a lexicon and if you do get one, I would recommend The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Frederick Danker. (Though I don't think it is available for Accordance, but it is basically an abridged treatment of BDAG.

I think that the Mounce Study Bungle for use with the Biblical Greek Primer may be of more use as well as any of the Analytical Lexicons, the Morphology of Biblical Greek. Since you already have BDAG, I would I think, concentrate on other resources to help with Greek. 

Eventually getting the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis would be worth investing in. 

I think there are better Greek resources than the abridged LIddell and Scott. and I would look around and see what there is. Most importantly since you already own BDAG, many of the Greek Lexicons are sufficient.

Edited by SimpleTheist, Today, 02:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Julia Falling