Grouping inflected forms according to root

josephhabib1

Greetings Accordance,

In some print vocabulary guides for biblical languages, they will usually have a section where a root is listed, followed by lexical forms built off that root listed and indented underneath them.

My question is that is there any way to group words like this using accordance searches?

I am trying to generate such a list for 2 Maccabes

Things I have tried:

1. using * [RANGE 2 macc] in the search bar --> Analysis --> CMD + T.

- However, there is no option to list by root. The roots ARE next to the word in parentheses, but I can't find a way to group like roots together

2. * [Range 2 macc] --> selecting all the text -->  hitting the "parse" button.

- This option is good because its display feature has a "show by roots" option but: (1) you can only select 200 verses at a time. (2) Even when selecting that option, it only goes verse by verse and does not display the book as a whole; the problem is the roots are repeated.

3. Pulling up a construct search ---> LEX columns 1 & 2 w/ * underneath each ---> AGREE *root

- I'm still not entirely sure what this does, but the word analysis list still separated words with like roots (i.e. When listed alphabetically any 2 given words had the same root in parentheses but separate items in the list)

I'm out of ideas! Any advice??

Joseph Habib

I am not aware of a way to do this for all words in a passage, but you can very quickly list all inflected form from a certain root.  Simply search for the root prefixed with a '+' sign to signify a root search, then Analysis, Cmd+T, add INFLECT column.

Hi Joseph,

Is this what you want ?

post-32023-0-55054600-1472090584_thumb.jpg

This can be done by cutting and pasting the Analysis data into a spreadsheet and sorting it by the column containing the stems.

Thx

D

Joel,

First off, my undergrad was in music and I played trombone myself :), so I love your picture. 

Second, thanks for the tip! Is there any way using the '+' and combining it with a wild card so that all ROOTS in a given range are selected WITHOUT all of the inflected forms? Something like +? [RANGE 2 macc] and then arranging the analysis by root?

Daniel,

That looks very close to what I want. Where I would change it is, lets take the columns containing the root (α, δικη), having α, δικη over to the left with all of the derived lexical forms under it to the right. However, with what you just showed me there, you can still see all the roots when they are stacked like that. I guess the next question would be: (1) how did you export that list into excel, and (2) once they are in excel, how do I tell it to alphabetize the column with roots so that like roots are stacked as you have there??

Hey Joseph,

I used LibreOffice (LO) Calc not Excel but the principle should be the same.

Run your query and open the Analysis tab.

Click to focus in the Analysis pane

Ctrl-A to select it all.

Go to the spreadsheet - in LO you do Paste Special... and paste as unformatted text. The columns in the Analysis are separated by tabs which LO interprets to put things into different columns which is really what you want.

Next define a Data range covering all the columns where the data has been pasted in.

Then use Sort... to sort the range and select the column you want to sort by.

As to rearranging the columns you could easily do that in the spreadsheet also. Just select the column containing the roots and move it to the left of the lexical forms. Then select both and move them over one column to be adjacent to the definition again. Bear in mind that some words do not have roots but they also don't have a blank entry. For those entries you would end up copying the definition instead. Alternatively you could just insert a blank cell for the root in each such row. It would be easiest after the sort was done because they will likely all be in one place.

You could write a spreadsheet macro to do all this at a keystroke if have to do a lot of it.

HTH

D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I'm reviving it, because I am trying to do a search for all roots in a given book of the Greek NT, and I'm hoping something new is possible since 2016.

I can see how Daniel manipulated things with a spreadsheet, but that would be a ton of work, and I don't think it can be automated since some words have no root listed (since the word is the root), and some have two or three roots.

I tried a Greek construct search, but that doesn't really do.

I tried a +* word search, but that doesn't do it either.

In either case, the words in the Analysis are reported based on lexeme. (Customizing display allow for roots to be shown but only in parentheses following the lexeme)

If anyone has advice, I'd be grateful!

Mark

Hey Mark,

As far as I can tell nothing of significance has changed here.

But a good deal of this can in fact be automated with scripts if you code in say Python. I never did anything special for this case but you could. If I were doing a lot of it I would combine it with automated queries on Mac using AppleScript to simplify extraction of the data. If you can describe, perhaps with a manually constructed example table, what you are looking to do I could comment more specifically.

Thx

D