Photo

Messianic Bible Translation in Accordance?

Messianic Bible Translation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,594 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

We've been asked to add a Messianic Bible translation to Accordance. What version would you recommend?

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD,  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD  + 1.5 TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

iPhone 6 plus: 64 GB, iOS 9.0.2

#2 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Are Any of the versions available, available as tagged versions?

;o)
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 9x, occasionally accordance 11x on Mountain Lion
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for selecting music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,594 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Sorry, no, not to my knowledge.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD,  AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD  + 1.5 TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, OSX 10.11, El Capitan

#4 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

Wouldn't the Complete Jewish Bible already count as a Messianic Bible Translation?

The Tree of Life version just recently came out, but I haven't had a chance to actually read from it yet.

#5 Douglas Fyfe

Douglas Fyfe

Silver

• Accordance
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, German, Cantonese, the mighty Essendon Bombers

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:33 AM

Yep - we have Complete Jewish Bible, a hard copy of which I received from a Messianic Jewish friend

iPhone 6+ :: iOS 9.x || Windows 10 :: Samsung ATIV ultrabook i5 :: 1.80GHz || my wife controls my MacBookPro :: OSX 10.6.8

#6 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

Who asked you? What are his/her/their requirements?

#7 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Pick up a copy of the Complete Jewish Bible or the Tree of Life Bible. Basically they don't translate certain Jewish words (name of God, shalom, names of the feasts etc. And bring some Jewish elements into the New Testament. A lot of names are translated into how they would be in Hebrew.

Sometimes with the New Testament I think they take things too far, but it is a different way to read familiar stories.

#8 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

The Complete Jewish Bible is a solid Messianic version edited by well-respected Messianic Jewish scholar David Stern in Jerusalem.  I already have this in Accordance.  But he just released a Complete Jewish Study Bible which I would LOVE to have in Accordance!  The study notes are excellent! :)   

#9 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:51 AM

Thanks. Just been to the publishers site and it mentions updated text and looks like there sre study notes for the tanakh.

http://www.hendricks...sh-study-bible/

I am curious what has has been changed in the nt translation and notes and if he is still using the original jps or is using their latest translation.

We also already have the original nt notes in accordance
https://www.accordan...=JNT Commentary
(Not sure why it is only in commentaries and not in the study bible section!)

Personally i find the notes in the jewish annotated nt to be more use than stern's on culture and custom.
https://www.accordan...sh Annotated NT
And the jps study bible is also excellent on that front as well.
https://www.accordan...etails/?pid=JSB

Would probably upgrade to this new stern volume but tree of life also looks interesting.

I have a paper copy of barnstone's the restored new testament which doesnt seem to get a mention anywhere, bought on the spur of the moment.

Edited by ukfraser, 28 August 2016 - 02:01 AM.

• Dan Francis likes this
Fraser Sims
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for selecting music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#10 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

I think the reason it isn't mentioned more is because a restored NT would be in Greek the language it was written in, not Hebrew. All joking aside, I do think a lot of the Messianic Bibles don't get much attention because of this. If we assume Luke was a gentile than certainly nothing he wrote would have direct Hebrew connections. I.E. If Luke mentioned peace, he probably meant peace and most likely did not have the connoatations of Shaloam in mind. Paul may or may not have. I certainly think the old testament is good, but I am think there might be too much reading into the New Testament.

Still I wouldn't mind seeing more of these in Accordance.

#11 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

Since the person was familiar with Accordance, I assume he knew we already had the CJB. For myself, I prefer translations that are the result of a team of scholars, not the work of a single individual, no matter how talented or well-respected.

The Tree of Life has been mentioned to me privately, too. Anyone want to offer feedback on it?

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#12 Fabian

Fabian

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

I prefer translations that are the result of a team of scholars, not the work of a single individual, no matter how talented or well-respected.

So no chance for https://www.scm-shop...n-david-h.html?

Greetings

Fabian

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12

Accordance 11.2.4.1 and waiting on 12 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.4

#13 Harold Hosch

Harold Hosch

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Psalms studies especially
    Discourse analysis
    Linguistics

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Dr. Jenney, for the most part I agree with your assessment of individual translators of the Bible. But as for the CJB the Old Testament is primarily an update in language of an older Jewish version. The New Testament is David Stern's approach to provide a more Jewish flavor to the New Testament. In some cases I think he pushes his agenda a little harder than necessary. But nonetheless his purpose is perhaps a bit too agenda ordered. On the other hand a professor from Wheaton Grad School gave me a working copy of the pre-NIV translation of Isaiah. This was of course a committee process. This has been many years ago. But there was a passage in Isaiah (too many years ago fro me to remember what it was) in which there were two translations of a passage—one was a traditional approach to a passage and the other a quite dynamic approach that seemed to me to catch the core of meaning in the original Hebrew. The committee went with the traditional translation. There are certainly weaknesses in translation by a single individual. But I often think that committees sometimes show some weakknesses as well. As you know far better than me I'm sure there are weaknesses with both approaches. However, granted the agenda oriented translation of CJB there are none the less important insight that we can gain. Just my own thoughts.

Harold Hosch

Edited by Harold Hosch, 29 August 2016 - 10:26 AM.

• Timothy Jenney likes this

#14 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

Thanks you, Harold! I appreciate your comment.

Fabian, commentaries are typically the work of a single person—and I have no problem with that. I just prefer to see less bias in Bible translations.

BTW, everyone, my preferences (and biases) are my own, not the company's. Accordance works to meet the needs of a very wide range of people who study the Bible. I'm happy to serve this wide audience.

'

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

#15 Fabian

Fabian

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

Fabian, commentaries are typically the work of a single person—and I have no problem with that. I just prefer to see less bias in Bible translations.

Thanks, my goal was more on the german version of the Jewish NT. To support more Ger.... you know.

Greetings

Fabian

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with Retina, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

Sierra 10.12

Accordance 11.2.4.1 and waiting on 12 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone 4S

iOS 9.3.5

Accordance Mobile 2.4

#16 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

Dr j, in principle i agree with you about teams as the strengths far outweigh the weakness but there are always compromises.

having read dave brunn's 'one bible, many versions', i can't help being reminded of the definition that:
a camel is a horse designed by committee!

;o)

Ps, i really like dave's book and strongle recomend people borrow it but feel he makes his point in the first 5 chapters and the remaing five are mostly a repetition of what he has already covered but with additional examples and subtle points. so get what you can from it but not necessarily read it all.
Fraser Sims

#17 benayahu56

benayahu56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

A little late to this discussion, but...

I have the Tree Of Life (TLV) Thinline Bible and love it, and the translation is great.  I have used it for several years until they came out with a complete Bible.  I do like that the TLV is done by a translation team as opposed to the CJB, which was done by one person who admits it could have been better if done by a team.

Also, the TLV uses Biblical weights and measures as opposed to the American ones used in the CJB and doesn't have anachronistic Yiddish terms like the CJB.

• ukfraser likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Messianic, Bible, Translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users