3 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Tsai

Allan Tsai

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Please consider underscoring proper names in Chinese Bible texts.

In most (if not all) of the print versions of the Chinese Bible translations I've seen, proper names are underscored to help distinguish the names out of the rest of the Chinese characters. It is also done in the YouVersion Bible app.

As far as I understand, proper names are made up of Chinese characters that sound similar to the original Biblical name and do not necessarily correspond to a meaning. For new Chinese learners (and I think new Christians even) it can be difficult to pick out the proper name from the text.

• Ιακοβ likes this

#2 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 PM

While I don't speak Chinese and am probably not going to learn, it does seem like it would be useful. You can potentially do this yourself, though it may take some time. The obvious way is to highlight it with the underline style whenever you come to a name. An alternative would be to use one of the more complete dictionaries and search for all uses of a name and apply the underlining. Someone more familiar with accordance would need to comment on this, but hopefully it is possible to then share the highlights. 

#3 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Please consider underscoring proper names in Chinese Bible texts.

In most (if not all) of the print versions of the Chinese Bible translations I've seen, proper names are underscored to help distinguish the names out of the rest of the Chinese characters. It is also done in the YouVersion Bible app.

I'm surprised to hear they are not underlined. I'd be surprised if the text that the accordance modules are based upon do not include the appropriate metadata to include the underlining. 

#4 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

You can potentially do this yourself, though it may take some time. ... Someone more familiar with accordance would need to comment on this, but hopefully it is possible to then share the highlights. 

Did you really just tell someone to highlight every transliterated name in their Chinese bible module? :) 

For those that don't know, Underlining transliterated names in Chinese is more akin to punctuation being missing, than to highlighting names.

It solves a problem that is unique to Chinese (a problem not obvious to someone who only reads English).  i.e. "Matthew" in the Chinese bible is written with the characters "horse" "big" "bless" "sound". Placing an underline under transliterated names ensures the reader is not confused by the transliterations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chinese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users