‏ ‎[COUNT 10-15]‏ finds words occur less than 10 times

Martin Z

Hello,

I did a search on the BHS by using the following search code: 

post-32138-0-57677500-1472839520_thumb.png

But there are three words that occur less than 10 times in the list.

post-32138-0-15839200-1472839539_thumb.png

I'm wondering what is that?

Martin, the [COUNT] command is not a modifier. It does not say "find when ___ occurs ___ times".  Rather, it is a representation of either lexemes, inflects, or tag combinations that occur ___ times.  So, your search is saying "Find all lemmas that occur 10-15 times, and filter just the proper nouns among them".  In the case of Tel, it occurs 5 times as Common, and 5 times as Proper, so its lemma is correctly 10, but you only searched for the 5 times it is proper.

If you just want a list of all proper nouns that occur 10-15 times, I think you'll need to just do a search for [NOUN properName], sort your Analysis by Count Down, and copy the words occurring in the 10-15 range.

• Like 1

Hmmm..., what is the dash (—) for in between the grammatical tag and the COUNT command?

I ran the search two different ways:

Just a [COUNT 10-15] Search shows Millo and Tel each occur ten times, Benjamite fourteen times (which would fit your query). 

When I search for [COUNT 10-15] @[NOUN (properName)], I get thirteen for Benjamite, four for Millo and five for Tel.

[Note: sorry, wrote this reply, but I now see Joel beat me to it.]

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Hi Joel,

Thank for you explanation.

I did want to find all lemmas that occur 10-15 times, excluding the ProperNouns.

In this case, why Accordance combine two categories (Common and Proper) in its calculation and then excludes the ProperNouns as I require it to do?

What I mean is, I don't want to list all the ProperNouns in my list. But excluding the ProperNouns, Tel occurs only 5 times, it will not be what I want.

I can arrange the list according to occurrences. But is there any way to exclude them from my search result at all? (Not a big issue though)

Thanks!

Edited by martinacc

Hmmm..., what is the dash (—) for in between the grammatical tag and the COUNT command?

I ran the search two different ways:

Just a [COUNT 10-15] Search shows Millo and Tel each occur ten times, Benjamite fourteen times (which would fit your query). 

When I search for [COUNT 10-15] @[NOUN (properName)], I get thirteen for Benjamite, four for Millo and five for Tel.

[Note: sorry, wrote this reply, but I now see Joel beat me to it.]

Dr. J,

Thanks for the post. It explains Joel's post well.

For Millo, 10-4=6(excluding the ProperNoun)

For Tel, 10-5=5(excluding the ProperNoun).

For Benjamite, 15-13=2. 

(I edited it, because Benjamite occurs 15 times, not 14 times, which puzzled me).

Edited by martinacc

I may have misread it, Martin. I was trying to balance several different things at once. Sorry. I fear I can't multi-task like I used to be able to do.