Zondervan 6 @ 60

kpang808

Any chance the rest of the NIVAC series will be on sale? I really don't want to invest in just the NT if the whole series eventually goes on sale again. 

Zondervan specified the NT, and have not announced any sale on the OT, sorry!

But thanks for mentioning this great 2 week sale with up to 60% off these important works:

NIV Application Commentary - New Testament

New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (5 volumes)

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology and Exegesis (5 volumes)

Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 volumes)

Zondervan Atlas of the Bible

Full details, prices, and links are on our blog.

I don't have a bible encyclopedia yet. Is the ZEB a suggested product for teaching and research?

Thanks.

Okay, so it seems there aren't many contented users of this product...

I don't have a bible encyclopedia yet. Is the ZEB a suggested product for teaching and research?

Thanks.

Get it! I  It is probably the best recent Encyclopedia/ Dictionary you can get. I might be biased since I have the old edition and the new one in print though. The pictures (assuming the accordance edition has them) is a great addition to a dictionary. I certainly think it is worth buying if you need a dictionary.

For whatever reason in theological terms, if a book is a one volume listing, it is called a dictionary and if it is multiple volumes it becomes an Encyclopedia. So it is basically a more comprehensive dictionary with pictures. 

In the recent past, when I checked for content updates in the Accordance application, I saw updates and update pricing for my copies of the NIDNTT and NIDOTTE. Now I don't see them listed in available paid updates. Are the current sale prices for the NIDNTTE and NIDOTTE better prices than the previously listed update pricing?

What are the current/latest versions of the NIDNTTE and NIDOTTE?

In the recent past, when I checked for content updates in the Accordance application, I saw updates and update pricing for my copies of the NIDNTT and NIDOTTE. Now I don't see them listed in available paid updates. Are the current sale prices for the NIDNTTE and NIDOTTE better prices than the previously listed update pricing?

It does appear the upgrade links are not present. I don't believe there is anything to upgrade the NIDOTTE from, though I could be wrong. So focusing only on the NIDNTTE the NIDNTT is $159 While the NIDNTTE is $249 Meaning the upgrade price was probably around $90 so the current sell price would actually be cheaper. However, someone will have to post something official since i don't have any of the actual prices. 

So I think you would save money by purchasing the products during the sell.

NIDNTTE is regarded as a new work so there are no upgrade paths to it from NIDNTT nor from NIDNTT-A (the abridged version). All are good. Don't miss these sale prices!

I keep up with news in publishing daily. I've heard repeated rumors that we're going to be seeing price increases across the board from Christian publishers, many of whom are struggling to show a profit. Publishers in general are struggling, so this is part of a larger issue: the decline of the number of people reading books, the change from print books to digital books, increasing labor costs, the rise of independent publishing, the disappearance of local bookstores, etc.

I've followed this advice for years, even before I began buying digital. Some of the books I bought were expensive back then, but are now completely out of my price range.

My advice is to buy sooner, rather than later, so as to avoid escalating costs down the road. When sales like this occur, don't hesitate, buy now!

• Like 1

I had the NIDNTT and kept an eye on what was the upgrade price to the NIDNTTE. It stayed at $159. Even when the NIDNTTE went on a sale price of $159 a while back the upgrade price was the same. This sale price is excellent I snapped it up as soon as I saw it. It is much lower than the upgrade price that had been in place prior to this.

Dr j, not surprised. In the uk, most Christian bookshops have closed and all bookshops have really cut back on stock and many are in a single chain now with even greater restrictions. Amazon has also had quite an impact.

Publishers working with you on sales is Good news for us but more pressure on you to bring us more titles.

Nidntte up to position 5 on top seller but nidott up to second so lots must be taking advantage.

;o)

Ps for me, the great thing about digital is that you have your entire library with you all the time, and the content is searchable and the font can be tweaked as our eyes change. Though i miss the smell of a leather binding. (Havent found a true leather ipad case that meets my requirement for a four section cover.)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I have version 2.4 of the NIDOTTE. Is that the current version? Thanks.

Yes.

I had the NIDNTT and kept an eye on what was the upgrade price to the NIDNTTE. It stayed at $159. Even when the NIDNTTE went on a sale price of $159 a while back the upgrade price was the same. This sale price is excellent I snapped it up as soon as I saw it. It is much lower than the upgrade price that had been in place prior to this.

so we aren't going crazy, there was an upgrade price at some point?

I feel like companies in general get into the trap that raising prices will increase the amount of money they make when lowering prices could actually increase the amount of money they make and increasing price could lower the amount of money they make.

Case in point I typically buy at the CBD prices but typically would not have bought the item otherwise.

At any point money today is worth more than money tomorrow so best to take advantage of the awesome discount. I just have to find enough money to get the Zondervan Dictionary now.

This sale seems to have caught our attention. It really is One of those that are too good to miss.

;o)

Does the Zondervan Atlas add something more to what Sacred Bridge and IVP-NB Atlas can give?

Personally, i dont think so. I am disapointed with the maps and can never get what i actually want but others think it very good. It is certainly a very attractive price but i ended up getting sacred bridge. (There are only two product i regret buying on accordance and this is one of them, though i did pay full price, i would have felt differently at this sale price, which i think is its true value.)

I only have sacred bridge (not ivp) which is my go to on the ipad, but still go back to my holmans in hard copy and then scan for serious study.

I did a comparison and there are a similar number of maps between the zondervan and the holman, for me the zondervan are not as clear or as focussed. I typically read a bible passage and then want to see the journey and i get that with holman together with bible passage reference. Zondervan gives me a generic map and i have to look at a number to get a rough approximation. I think the other carta one would be great but i miss the info in colour ( plus, as i have said befor, it seems to include every cafe and bar that david stopped at for a cappuccino or beer while escaping from

As an example, this map is called Jesus ministry. Sidon to Jerusalem. But to me it is just cities and major routes.

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Fraser,

Which Holman reference are you referring to, the Illustrated Bible Dictionary, or the Charts and Maps one?

Hi anthony,

No its a resource that isnt in accordance and not likely to be in any time soon (from the thread below). Its brisco's bible atlas and i have it as hard copy and its my number one Atlas, and nothing comes close in my opinion.

All the maps have been scanned and are available on line but the quality of the scan leaves a lot to be desired.

http://azbyka.ru/otechnik/assets/uploads/books/14889/Bible%20Atlas.pdf

Forum thread

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/19039-holman-bible-atlas-by-thomas-brisco/

we are all different and the author of the zondervan atlas thinks differently to the way i do. There are at least two people who contribute to this forum who i respect who have found the zondervan atlas helpful.

For me, zondervan has two maps that cover the whole of jesus' ministry and they are basically a map with a load of place names on. (One example is above and the other one is around the sea of galilee with possible sites but zero any scripture reference or possible sequence.)

Carta and holman bible atlas both list places, the scripture reference and add an arrow so you get an idea of the actual journey (rather than having to keep referring back to the scripture passage to check the names and then scan the map to find them).

The holman bible atlas takes it a stage further with references to the different gospels so you also get a flavour of the different places referred to by the different gospel authors.

Jesus ministry is then broken down over a number of maps (5 or more).

When listening to a sermon, i flick to sacred bridge in my iphone or ipad.

When preparing a sermon, i scan the most appropriate map from the holman bible atlas ready to project.

Brisco's atlas is right next to my desk as i ts usually the first volume i reach for.

Zondervan has lots of text and photos but for me, the map is the bit i want. I spent ages in a good book shop comparing different atlases many years ago and i look at modern atlases whenever i visit a christian bookshop and still think it is the perfect atlas for what i want.

;o)

Fraser,

The link you posted to http://azbyka.ru/otechnik/assets/uploads/books/14889/Bible%20Atlas.pdf leads to a download of a Bible Atlas, but it doesn't seem to be Brisco's from Holman. Is that link what you intended? The one it downloaded for me is Bible Atlas, Access Foundation, Zaine Ridling, Editor.

Hi eric

For me maps are important in an atlas.

Some one has (badly) scanned all the maps from brisco's holman atlas and published them as a pdf (there is also a separate bible study based on the atlas available as a pdf if you search).

The link to the pdf gives you a good flavour of the atlas to help decide if you want to buy a hard copy as you can see the quality, variety and areas covered by the maps. It doesnt include and of the text or images.

Sorry if i was unclear. How i wish this was an accordance resource (though i think it will be a challenge to their development team as the legend is a separate box and the paper layout is not great on screen).

Hope this now makes sense.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thank you, Fraser. I think I understand now: that PDF is the Brisco atlas poorly scanned. And, I presume, probably scanned without the publisher's permission (although I don't know that). But if it's Brisco's content, it seems strange to me that the PDF doesn't seem to identify it as such.

Thanks for the clarification!

I also assume scanned without the publishers permission as well.

;o(

But maps 107, 109, 110, 111, 112 and 113 in the pdf are the equivalent of the map i did a screenshot of from the zondervan text. So Its great to see what suits what is best for what you are looking for.

Ps, there are a few other maps included in the pdf which are from some other un-named source but you can tell from the colour and style of the map with no legend and usually denoted by 'a' which are the additional ones.

Edited by ukfraser