Confused about these "updates"?

Julia Falling

I ran a check for content updates and got this.

post-330-0-21399000-1473031966_thumb.jpg

These don't look like updates to me.  There must be something I'm not understanding.

Thanks!

Well, it does say upgrade(s) and not updates in a couple of places...

I should have been more clear.  This is what is confusing – I already own the Pillar-16 and the UTB Commentary (complete).  They're paid for and not recent acquisitions.  How can going from Pillar-16 to Pillar-14 and UTB (Complete) to UTB-NT be an update or upgrade?  Looks like a "downgrade."  

Isn't Pillar NTC-16 –> Pillar NTC-14 going in the wrong direction for an upgrade or update?  Same for UTB Commentary –> UBC-NT.

I'm not getting it.  Surely these ought not to be coming up when I check for updates?  Pay to give up the UTB-OT?  Pay to give up 2 volumes of Pillar?

Doesn't make sense to me …

Bug?

Edited by Julia Falling

Julie,

The Pillar update is due to Hebrews and Ephesians being pulled from the series.  Reason, Peter O'Brien one of my profs from Moore, and the author of these volumes had mistakenly not acknowledged several references.  Eerdman's  took a firm stand and asked that these volumes be withdrawn from publication.  Knowing the author myself, I believe it was an accident.  So now the volumes will be withdrawn, and be assigned to someone else to do.  Can't speak for the other series, but it may be that one volume was updated, and therefore a new module issued.

From 

https://www.accordancebible.com/buzz/articles/PNTC it says:

* August 2016 update removed Ephesians and Hebrew at Publisher's request.

I suspect what is happening here has something to do with the way Easy Install handles paid upgrade (which normally would be an upgrade to more "texts" but in this case is fewer because of a Publishers request).

Is it a bug? Possibly. I do admit it is slightly confusing.

I did find that if you select the upgrade (see the attached image)

post-33308-0-89569800-1473045799_thumb.png

and follow the URL down in the bottom information box it eventually leads you to: 

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Pillar+NTC-14-up16 which says:

​This FREE upgrade is available to users who previously purchased the fourth release of Pillar NTC (16 volumes) (Pillar NTC-16).  Purchase of this upgrade will supply the user with the 14-volume Pillar NTC (Pillar NTC-14) which removes the volumes for Ephesians and Hebrews (at the Publisher's request).

Upgrading to the 14-volume set will allow users the ability to keep the Ephesians and Hebrews volumes (in Pillar NTC-16) and still have access to future corrections and updates to the module (in Pillar NTC-14).

I'm not sure what the UTB Commentary is (my module for Understanding the Bible is is called UB Commentary) May be try selecting it in the Upgrades window and following the URL provided (if there is one).

Michael

Edited by Michael Hunt

Thanks.  That clears up the Pillar confusion.  I knew there was a change coming but the Update/Upgrade was a little odd.

OK.  So I do the "upgrade" and I end up with the Pillar-14 plus separate volumes by O'Brien for Ephesians & Hebrews?  At some later date we will have Ephesians and Hebrews by other authors?

I still have the strangeness of the UTB upgrade/update.  I don't think O'Brien authored any of those but I may be mistaken.

Understanding the Bible Commentary is rather complicated:

It was NIBC (New International Biblical Commentary) which was only NT but was rebranded as Understanding the Bible Commentary.

We first released that as UTB and then as UTB-NT, which is a free upgrade to either NIBC or UTB.

Then we released the UBC-OT as a separate module.

Finally we offered the combined UB Commentary, which is a free upgrade to users who own NIBC/UTB/UTB-NT plus UTB-OT.

Julie, you do own the UB Commentary, so I think you are seeing the "paid" upgrade because you still have the UTB Commentary in your library.

Julie, you do own the UB Commentary, so I think you are seeing the "paid" upgrade because you still have the UTB Commentary in your library.

I've made a slight change that should eliminate that listing for users who own the UB Commentary (in addition to the UTB Commentary). Julie, see if that helps.

Yes,

I have these showing as available updates.  When I put them in my basket, I get the message the order will be manually reviewed because there is no order record history for them?

post-32164-0-36952000-1473091666_thumb.png

Understanding the Bible Commentary is rather complicated:

It was NIBC (New International Biblical Commentary) which was only NT but was rebranded as Understanding the Bible Commentary.

We first released that as UTB and then as UTB-NT, which is a free upgrade to either NIBC or UTB.

Then we released the UBC-OT as a separate module.

Finally we offered the combined UB Commentary, which is a free upgrade to users who own NIBC/UTB/UTB-NT plus UTB-OT.

Thanks, Helen.  Does the UTB-NT have the same contents and the NT portion of UB?  If so, I'll delete the UTB-NT.

Are the Ephesians and Hebrews volumes by O'Brien going to be separated out as individual modules from the Pillar 16 at some point?

I've made a slight change that should eliminate that listing for users who own the UB Commentary (in addition to the UTB Commentary). Julie, see if that helps.

Thanks, Julie.  Sorry I got so confused over this!

Michael – You were right in your conjecture.  I have downloaded and installed my updates/upgrades.  

Phil – I prefer to give Peter O'Brien the benefit of the doubt, and appreciate his apology.

Thank you to all for clearing up my confusion!

Edited by Julia Falling

Does the UTB-NT have the same contents and the NT portion of UB?  If so, I'll delete the UTB-NT.

Helen – I have deleted the UTB-NT.  I should have known that the NT contents were the same in the modules.  Thanks.

Are the Ephesians and Hebrews volumes by O'Brien going to be separated out as individual modules from the Pillar 16 at some point?

We don't plan to release them separately at this point.

Thanks, Helen.  Good to know.

I'm afraid I'm still confused. Under Updates>Paid I see "Pillar-NTC-16" -> "Pillar-NTC-14", and it says "FREE upgrade" (begs the question as to why it's in "Paid").

My question: If I do this FREE upgrade, will I lose the two volumes by O'Brien? I think the answer to this is "No".

I think what will happen is merely that "Pillar-NTC-14" will be added to my system, and that is the only one that will be updated with corrections, etc. in the future.

What parts of what I am thinking about this are true or false? :)

Thanks!

post-3736-0-34737000-1473179502_thumb.png

I used the link given by Michael, above.  It did install Pillar-NTC-14 in addition to the 16 volume version.

Why it shows up under Paid?  No idea (except perhaps that we have to go to the Accordance Store to take care of this?).

Thank you, Julia. I "get it" now. I hadn't noticed or clicked on that link. It is clear enough once you (well, once I read) read what it says there.

Eric –

You caught on faster than I did.  You probably have a younger brain.

I'm afraid I'm still confused. Under Updates>Paid I see "Pillar-NTC-16" -> "Pillar-NTC-14", and it says "FREE upgrade" (begs the question as to why it's in "Paid").

My question: If I do this FREE upgrade, will I lose the two volumes by O'Brien? I think the answer to this is "No".

I think what will happen is merely that "Pillar-NTC-14" will be added to my system, and that is the only one that will be updated with corrections, etc. in the future.

What parts of what I am thinking about this are true or false? :)

Thanks!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-09-06 at 7.27.38 PM.png

The free updates (i.e. Pillar-NTC-16 to Pillar-NTC-14) are listed under Paid because it is the only manner of notification we have to announce possible upgrades that a user may be interested in based on products they own. The "FREE" updates tab is for updates to module that a user currently owns.

You are correct on all the other points. Purchasing and downloading the Pillar-NTC-14 product will simply ADD the new module (without the two O'Brien volumes) to your Library. The previous Pillar-NTC-16 product will remain in your Library and will serve as your source of those two volumes. We will, most likely, offer updates to Pillar-NTC-16 for a period of time, but eventually we will maintain only Pillar-NTC-14.

• Like 1

Eric –

You caught on faster than I did.  You probably have a younger brain.

It's not age, but mileage that matters. And the types of roads. So I may be in worse shape :)

Granted that this is a unique circumstance, it may be useful for the three O'Brien volumes (2 Pillar, 1 NIGTC) to be separate for those wishing to retain them. It help users keep them & yet update the parent collection without duplication.

Not a "must have" but it would be tidier (to my mind).

• Like 6

The free updates (i.e. Pillar-NTC-16 to Pillar-NTC-14) are listed under Paid because it is the only manner of notification we have to announce possible upgrades that a user may be interested in based on products they own. The "FREE" updates tab is for updates to module that a user currently owns.

You are correct on all the other points. Purchasing and downloading the Pillar-NTC-14 product will simply ADD the new module (without the two O'Brien volumes) to your Library. The previous Pillar-NTC-16 product will remain in your Library and will serve as your source of those two volumes. We will, most likely, offer updates to Pillar-NTC-16 for a period of time, but eventually we will maintain only Pillar-NTC-14.

That makes sense.  Thanks.

Granted that this is a unique circumstance, it may be useful for the three O'Brien volumes (2 Pillar, 1 NIGTC) to be separate for those wishing to retain them. It help users keep them & yet update the parent collection without duplication.

Not a "must have" but it would be tidier (to my mind).

This is the way the NICNT series was handled. It is much better for library management. Otherwise you have to keep duplicates and remember which package the old and new volumes are part of.

• Like 2

When the Morris volume on Romans was superseded by the newly released Kruse version the older version was split off into its own module entitled Pillar: Romans (Morris).

It would be nice to have the same happen for the O'Brien volumes if only for consistency and saving having duplicates.

• Like 5