Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

I do have to say, I do love that we are able to adjust the line spacing. Some font's work fine with the defaults, but some of my fonts do have strangly smaller space between the lines. (My favourite example being the Font they use for NASB, its been especially condensed somehow, Lexicon No 1 I think its called)

Absolutely! Most fonts I use require line space adjustment.

#22 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

I recall a feature called Multiple Master fonts that allowed you to edit the weight, serifs etc of various fonts and save them. Adobe recently revealed a video showing some new tech as a variation on that theme, I cannot remember where I saw it.

#23 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

Nerd alert!
The font size applies to capitals with a bit of space above and below.

For you, i think The important size is the x height which ignores the assender (as in a 'h, b, k') and is specified by the font designer.

I suggest looking at your fonts in the mac font book (in applications if you dont have it open) and using a font where the x, o, a, etc look bigger (taller and wider) than your current default reading font.

I have some fonts with extreemly large assenders with correspondingly small x height.

;o)

I seem to recall that keys to legibility of text include:

Use fonts with comparatively large x-heights and relatively short ascenders and descenders.

Use of a typeface that has serifs.

Line lengths that do not exceed the length of two lower case alphabets (ie a to z twice, in lower case)

Good use of leading.

Most people probably won't have hundreds of professionally designed fonts (sorry, typefaces) on their system, but will have a handful, and probably a lot of less good ones available for free from sites such as dafont.com or from software bundles or wherever.

So yes, you can run Accordance in Papyrus and Comic sans if you really want to, but take a minute to have a look at your paper Bible on the shelf and make a close study of how it was (professionally) typeset. Examine the choice of typeface, the use of leading, the width of columns, the use of hyphenation. Observe.

#24 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

Unless, as we mentioned for people with vision problems, you are limited to certain fonts.

Anyone can edit a font and change the x-height. I do that. There's a cross-platform app called Font Forge that lets you edit a font however you want. It requires XQuartz on Mac.

FontSquirrel.com has an automatic utility to increase the x-height. But it will only allow open source fonts. If you try to convert something by Adobe, Linotype, Monotype, etc., it tells you they are copyrighted and cannot be converted.

• Alistair likes this

#25 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Unless, as we mentioned for people with vision problems, you are limited to certain fonts.

Anyone can edit a font and change the x-height. I do that. There's a cross-platform app called Font Forge that lets you edit a font however you want. It requires XQuartz on Mac.

FontSquirrel.com has an automatic utility to increase the x-height. But it will only allow open source fonts. If you try to convert something by Adobe, Linotype, Monotype, etc., it tells you they are copyrighted and cannot be converted.

Hi Brett, sorry I missed your previous posting.

Apologies if I sounded too abrupt and inconsiderate; that was not my intention.

• Brett K. likes this

#26 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Certainly ediing a font is a creative way around the restriction from selecting 15pt in a font dropdown box :D However who wants a second copy of their favourite fonts popping up in all of their applications? Somehow simly allowing 15pt would make all of our lives easier.

• Brett K. likes this
My top 5 feature requests:
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...
  5. Phrase (sympathetic) highlighting.

#27 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Certainly ediing a font is a creative way around the restriction from selecting 15pt in a font dropdown box :D However who wants a second copy of their favourite fonts popping up in all of their applications? Somehow simly allowing 15pt would make all of our lives easier.

I agree. Of course I don't know all the technicalities of why it is an issue, but it would be nice if Accordance could simply use the standard OS X font panel. We could have any size font we want. I know they've done an awesome job on Accordance, so I'm thankful for what we have. These issues would be icing on the cake. :-)

• Ιακοβ likes this

#28 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

I was sad to see this wasn't included in Accordance 12. Perhaps we could get it for Accordance 13?

1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...

#29 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

12.0.5 maybe?

#30 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

No 15pt font size in 12.06 either?  :(

#31 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:44 AM

Perhaps we could get it in 12.1.4?

#32 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

I was pretty sad to see that we couldn't get 15pt font size in the latest Accordance 12.2. I wonder what is so difficult about allowing a choice between a font that comes out a little to big (16pt) and a little too small (14pt) for my eyes on my laptop screen.  14 point is a little straining on my eyes when I am tired, and 16pt doesn't fit as many panels as I would like when using lots of panels on a small monitor.

• Michael Hunt likes this

#33 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

I was pretty sad to see that we couldn't get 15pt font size in the latest Accordance 12.2. I wonder what is so difficult about allowing a choice between a font that comes out a little to big (16pt) and a little too small (14pt) for my eyes on my laptop screen.  14 point is a little straining on my eyes when I am tired, and 16pt doesn't fit as many panels as I would like when using lots of panels on a small monitor.

I know what you mean. I think it is the Holy Grail of programming. It will take a feat of software engineering the likes of which the world has never seen. They will have to mobilize a force of engineers equal the U.S. space program of the 1960s. They will need tools that have not been built and programming techniques that have not been discovered. And when it happens, the world will rejoice. :-)

Edited by Brett K., 20 December 2017 - 07:33 PM.

• Alistair likes this

#34 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

I too we rejoicie :)

#35 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,316 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

Brett: The facetious tone of your post is noted. How many people actually really want 15 point font size? The list of features on our to-do list is already as long as my arm.

• Ιακοβ likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#36 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Helen, if you had a 15-point arm you could fit a lot more on to it than the standard 12-point arm.

• Ιακοβ likes this

#37 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

I wasn't going for "facetious"—just joking around. :)

I have no idea how many people want it. I'm sure the same thing happens to a lot of people (as it did to me). You find the perfect font, then 14pt is too small and 16pt is too big. Strictly from a user perspective, people think, "I can use whatever font size I want in other Mac apps, why can't I do the same in Accordance?" I realize there's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes depending on which APIs you are using so it's not as simple as that. But, from a user perspective, they just see what looks like obvious functionality available in most every application.

Edited by Brett K., 20 December 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#38 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps I should add, Accordance is so awesome, that it really is saying something when my most desired feature request is a minor issue of font size so I can fit more on the screen. 

For the record, the only other minor features I want in accordance (apart from 15pt font size), are:

1. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)

2. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)

3. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...

• Fabian and Michael Hunt like this

#39 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:59 AM

My question is why Accordance offers us 84 pt and 96 pt as options for text. Is that seriously necessary?

I wonder if there is a technical issue here that harks back tot he time when typefaces (fonts) came in two parts, screen fonts and printer fonts. The screen font (which was displayed on the screen) was at fixed sizes, 9pt, 10pt, 12pt, 14pt etc, usually always even numbers (except for 9).

As I understand it, all modern fonts are now fully scalable or vector-based, so it should not be unreasonable to have an empty input box where the user can just enter the font size he or she wants. 

With QuarkXPress you can even enter font sizes as decimals, eg 7.6pt, 9.3pt, 11.2 pt for more exact control over the font size.

While that may not be necessary, it might be worthwhile sourcing easy-to-read typefaces for on-screen use, perhaps even the use of specifically dyslexia-friendly fonts.

• Ιακοβ likes this

#40 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

I for one use the 84 and 96 point fonts almost every single week.  They are the size I use to export to Keynote for presentations.  I don't know how Accordance should best handle fonts, but I certainly hope we do not lose the ability to keep larger fonts for export.

In Christ,

Bret

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users