1978 NIV and Accordance.

Daniel  Francis

Some discussion in another forum suggested that at one point in time in addition to the 1984 edition of the NIV that Accordance offered 1978 NIV. This well may be the case but wanted to get some official word on this because it seems unlikely to me and while I have never owned everything you produced I never remember seeing the 1978 NIV as a purchasable option.

-Dan

From my understanding Accordance was released in 1994, as such it seems very unlikely that the 1978 NIV was available, as the 84 edition would have already been out for ten years. The only way Accordance would have had the '78 edition is 1) If the creator of Accordance already had the files/rights because of previous bible software programs he was involved with. 2) The '78 edition was originally integrated with another work of Accordance and that made it super easy to transfer the files to its own Bible. 

So I suppose it could have been, but it would require special circumstances. Of course hopefully someone official will be able to answer your question and we can both find out the truth. 

• Like 1

Some discussion in another forum suggested that at one point in time in addition to the 1984 edition of the NIV that Accordance offered 1978 NIV. This well may be the case but wanted to get some official word on this because it seems unlikely to me and while I have never owned everything you produced I never remember seeing the 1978 NIV as a purchasable option.

-Dan

Dan

I don't believe you can buy them now. I found out, that the Bible publishers always let destroy the old version if a new comes out. In the Shops the print Bibles will be replaced trough the new ones. And not you can buy the old and the new at the same time.

The TVZ had it done so as the Zürcher Bibel 2007 came out.

Greetings

Fabian

Dan, i am curious as to why you would want the 1978 version. Though i have both the later versions in accordance, i cant remember when i last looked at the 1984 edition.

It would probably be available in a secondhand book shop.

Was there ever an IV?

;o)

-Dan

I've never seen anything about the 1978 version. So, if it ever was, it was a very long time ago (> 10 years). Why do you want to know? Why does it matter?

For me it is more curiosity although it was the first NIV I owned and my grandma did give me the NT on tape in the NIV 78. It is mostly someone saying Accordabce use to sell the 1978 version in the Logos forums and me shaking my head and saying I don't think so. I really don't even use the 84 anymore so no reason I would want the 78 other than parts of the original EBC use the 78 rather than 84 the John/Acts volume for example.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

I still use it regularly because while John by Tenney may not have felt as up to par as Carson's Matthew I find it still quite insightful and something I still value.

“Eternal,” the new life God gives, refers not solely to the duration of existence but also to the quality of life as contrasted with futility. It is a deepening and growing experience. It can never be exhausted in any measurable span of time, but it introduces a totally new quality of life. The believer becomes imperishable; he is free from all condemnation, he is approved by God.

Merrill C. Tenney, John, ed. Frank E. Gaebelein and J. D. Douglas, vol. 9 of Expositor’s Bible Commentary. Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1984), paragraph 50051.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis