User Notes Disappeared!

Martin Z

Hello,

I was trying to combine two user notes, let's say, "My notes" into "Martin's Notes."

Accordance could not combine and gave me a pop up box saying that "My notes" requires a newer version of Accordance. But my Accordance is the most updated one.

So I tried again a few time, sometimes in a reverse way, namely, "Martin's Notes" into "My notes," nevertheless, with the same result.

Then I tried to relaunch the program. After the relaunch, I could not find "My notes." And, nothing was imported into "Martin's Notes."

Can I find my notes back? Most of my notes are stored in "My notes."

Thanks a lot!

Martin

What's worse, I just created a new user notes, and made some notes in it. But it also disappeared after a couple of hours.

Is that because of the syncing problem?

I sync my notes in Dropbox.

Martin,

I have not tried to merge User Notes (potentially old and new format?) and do automatic dropbox syncing in a long while - you might have found some bugs! I will look into it.

I would log in to your dropbox.com account and look in Dropbox > Apps > Accordance > User Notes. Then click on the trash icon to show deleted files. Hopefully, the deleted User Notes appear and you can restore them. 

This is the best way to recover deleted files (from Dropbox) because you choose the latest file from the sync history and can reliably propagate the file to your other computers/devices.

For now, if you want to merge the recovered files, I would try it with manual Dropbox syncing. Let us know what the input files were (with extensions) and the name of the output file.

Mike

Mike, 

Thank you so much for the tips! I have restored the previous deleted notes.

The newly created notes was not in the deleted list. I guess it was not even synced to Dropbox.

Yes. I think I was probably combine old and new notes.

Do I need to contact you by email about the files?

It is very interesting.

I found two files having the same name with different extensions, one "My Notes.amynotes," the other "My Notes.acc4."

I was able to open "My Notes.amynotes" a minute ago right after I restored them.

But now I cannot open it anymore. It says that "it requires a new version of Accordance."

Martin,

Sorry for all of the hassles, it looks like you have multiple “My Notes” with/without extensions and Accordance is having trouble managing them. The error message (newer version) is for the *.amynotes files and it appears that the merged user note is corrupt.

I recommend that you clean up the duplicates and then try the merge.

To clean up:

• On dropbox.com go to Dropbox > Apps > Accordance > User Notes and restore one version of My Notes. Make sure there is only one User Note with the filename My Notes (with/without extension). 
  • Also, your  user > Documents > Accordance Files > User Notes folder should only have one version of “My Notes”. If you have multiple “My Notes” then you should make sure you have the same “My Notes” installed and remove the unwanted versions. To do so - quit Accordance, move the unwanted “My Notes” out of the folder, restart Accordance, and make sure you can load “My Notes”.
  • Do a dropbox sync to make sure everything is up to date.

If this is too hard to follow, then feel free to contact our technical support to help.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I have done what you instructed. But it still has problem.

I copied the same note file to both Dropbox and Document. I was able to open the notes. But when I try to merge them, the error pop up window still show up.

post-32138-0-00423200-1473448865_thumb.png

Martin,

Sorry for all of the hassles, it looks like you have multiple “My Notes” with/without extensions and Accordance is having trouble managing them. The error message (newer version) is for the *.amynotes files and it appears that the merged user note is corrupt.

I recommend that you clean up the duplicates and then try the merge.

To clean up:

• On dropbox.com go to Dropbox > Apps > Accordance > User Notes and restore one version of My Notes. Make sure there is only one User Note with the filename My Notes (with/without extension). 
  • Also, your  user > Documents > Accordance Files > User Notes folder should only have one version of “My Notes”. If you have multiple “My Notes” then you should make sure you have the same “My Notes” installed and remove the unwanted versions. To do so - quit Accordance, move the unwanted “My Notes” out of the folder, restart Accordance, and make sure you can load “My Notes”.
  • Do a dropbox sync to make sure everything is up to date.

If this is too hard to follow, then feel free to contact our technical support to help.

Mike

Martin,

Thank you for the PM with the two User Notes. I was able to reproduce the corruption and the fix will be in the next revision. I will send you the merged User Note to verify.

Thank you for the report!

Mike

Martin have you convert all your Notes to Amynotes?

Hello Fabian,

Thanks for your help. I had both old the new usernotes. But even after deleting all old ones, the problem still existed. Thankfully, Mike has fixed the issue.

Blessings,
Martin
  • Like 1

Hello Fabian,

Thanks for your help. I had both old the new usernotes. But even after deleting all old ones, the problem still existed. Thankfully, Mike has fixed the issue.

Blessings,
Martin

Great that Mike has found the problem.

Greetings

Fabian

I used to create notes called "user notes" when reading Hebrew or Greek. I then stared a file titled "My Notes." Later I tried to merge the user notes with my notes which ended up with all the notes disappearing. When I open the Hebrew or the Greek portions where I earlier had notes, there are now no note icons in the margins. It seems they were erased, but I am not sure how. Is there any way to recover these?

Forrest

This all happened more than a year ago. But I am thinking that I lost the notes either when I merged the two files, or possibly when I did an Accordance version update. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing?

Hello Forrest,

On Mac, when I go to Documents→ Accordance Files, I see a folder called "Old User Notes." You may be able to see some disappeared notes here.

Blessings,
Martin