Print Hebrew Bible for school

Julia Falling

Hey, all –

I'm going to need a print Hebrew Bible next semester, one with the critical apparatus. Which edition is the latest? Does it come in a decent size font? One in which I can read the pointing without a magnifying glass? (I have no problems with the NA28th or UBS5th in print).

I know this is a bit off topic, but y'all are the most knowledgable folks I know. My prof said to get the BHS with apparatus. I went to the school library and they had a maior edition. But if it's not up to date, that will be a no-go.

As you can see, I'm a bit muddled. My Greek prof will get it for me when he goes to SBL (good discounts there) later this year, so I want to be as specific as possible.

Thanks!

Edited by Julia Falling

The latest revision of BHS is 1997, 5th edition.

There is a so-called pocket edition (you would need a large pocket--about 5" x 7.5")

You probably want the standard edition which is about 6.5" x 9.5". I think this is also sometimes called a hand edition.

A.D.

Thanks, guys. Just the info I needed.

As appealing as the JPS edition might be, I think my prof would frown upon my sitting there with English in front of me when there should be only Hebrew. I think I'll start with the BHS 5th and look into the JPS later. I'm only in first year, so it will be a while before I can even read and pronounce the language, let alone understand it. Since we're required to have a Hebrew Bible next semester, I'm hopeful that some level of competence will have been acquired.

Yeah.  But I don't mind too much duplicating some things.  And even if I'm just auditing, I play by the rules.