Trouble after latest Update to Windows 10 Pro Version 1607

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

A few days ago I reformatted my hard drive and went back to Windows from Linux (bc it can’t run Acc or BW well enough). So I have a fresh install of W10 Pro. Now I’m having all kinds of trouble with basic operations in Accordance after the latest Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607, Build 14393.187 – I can’t scroll using the arrow or dragging the bar, the menu items don’t work (File, Edit, Search, etc., all the way across), I can’t exit any pane with the “x”, and I can’t exit the program with the red “x” at the top right corner – I have to use Task Manager to exit. And of course, I get the “Accordance crashed . . . “ screen every time I restart.

I tried restarting, and running as Administrator, but neither worked. Then I deleted AppData > Local > Accordance > Accordance Preferences > Startup session, restarted Acc, and all worked as it should, until I exited Acc, restarted it, and had the same problems all over again.

What is funny is that my lowly W10 Home x32 tablet, with the same version and build , runs Acc fine.

All my other programs work as they should.

Regards,

Michel

Hey Michel,

I just had a look at my Win 10 Pro setup as I have not seen this behaviour.

I found I am not yet on that build. I am on Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.589.

I realise this is not much help except perhaps as some comparison. BTW, what version of Acc are you running ?

Thx

D

Hi דניאל,

I downloaded 11.2.3 from https://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers/

I just reinstalled it and the same thing happens. I deleted Startup session and Acc worked for two restarts, but then everything froze again.

Thanks and regards,

Michel

Ok, not sure what to suggest then. One for the Acc Windows developers I'm afraid.

If and when I get that Win update I'll see if I have similar issues but there's no sign of it yet.

Thought to check for other cases. Have you seen this ? http://www.ditii.com/2016/09/14/fix-for-freezing-kb3189866-cumulative-update-of-windows-10-version-1607-build-14393-187/. There are plenty of other reports on the KB3189866 patch causing issues. I saw something about rolling it back but I don't know the procedure. Might be worth looking into it. It seems your 1607 and my 1511 versions are on different build tracks - I don't claim to understand but my version seems to be up to date so perhaps I don't actually see the build version you are now on.

Thx

D

Michel,

I have the same version of Windows 10 as you do. Both - the latest Aleph and 11.2.3 are working fine on my machine.

Does the app work normally, if you change the startup - in the preferences from 'Last Session' to 'Default session'?

If it does, what do you set your session to be when you are working - that made the last session get confused?

Hi Orly,

I had to delete Startup session just to restart Acc and get into Edit > Preferences. Then yes, Default Session works. I opened and closed Acc 10 times, and all is fine.

Then I reset it to Last Session, closed it, and it reopened and closed fine (I tried 5 times).

But, as soon as I toggled ID off and triple clicked on a word in HMT4, and closed and reopened Acc, I had the same problems described above. Here is a screenshot.

post-32543-0-13387800-1474296059_thumb.png

To add to the above, I can’t do anything with the verse box either, including the six arrows to the left. The only clicking that works is: triple click/right click on a word; clicking the icons under the File Edit Search Display, etc. menu; and, clicking into a tab. But nothing in a tab works, i.e., the change font size and everything to the right of it doesn't work.

Then I deleted Startup session, got back into Acc, answered No on the Acc crashed screen, everything worked, then I chose NA28, triple clicked on a word, closed Acc, and when I opened it again it was frozen already. Here is a screenshot of it:

post-32543-0-17021100-1474296071_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

Hi again,

Since Default Session worked (was it loaded during Install, my preferred Bible, HMT4 + ID?), I thought I’d try to Set Default Session to HMT4 and an open lexicon to see if it worked. But, after exiting and reopening, it froze like above.

Regards,

Michel

Michel,

When installing Accordance on this new machine, did you use all the same folder structure as on your Windows 10 Home machine?

If so, I recommend contacting our Technical Support to help sort out this session startup problem. 

Hi,

I used the defaults during installation. W10 Home uses c:\Program Files\Oaktree\Accordance. W10 Pro uses c:\Program Files (x86)\Oaktree\Accordance. But Acc is a 32 bit program (isn’t it?), so it wouldn’t run in c:\Program Files in W10 Pro. My tablet can only run 32 bit programs so it doesn’t have the (x86) designation. The path to the Startup sessions is the same. Accordance Files is in the Documents folder on both machines.

I’m probably the only one who installed Acc after a fresh install of W10 Pro 1607 on a fully formatted (almost new) hard drive (ssd), followed by the Cumulative Update. Can someone try to reproduce it following exactly what I did? I don’t have more time to spend on this; it is the busiest time of the year for me.

I think for the moment I’ll just wait it out: either something will change in Windows, or 11.2.4 or later will fix it. In the meantime, I’ll just use Acc on my Windows Tablet or in Snow Leopard. If the issue persists into late Fall, I might have time to contact Technical Support then.

Thanks and regards,

Michel

Hi,

Well, I didn’t have to wait long, just 4 ½ hours. I just checked for updates, installed 11.2.4, set Startup to Last Session, and everything works as it should.

Regards,

Michel