A History of Western Philosophy and Theology

Greg Terry

A History of Western Philosophy and Theology, by John Frame

This book would be an excellent resource to have in Accordance.

Edited by Greg Terry
  • Like 1

Question: What is attractive about having this in Accordance, instead of simply in paper form or on your kindle or iBooks or other reader?

A) there isn't a kindle version, I don't buy books from Apple.

B) the print book is huge

C) there are scriptures located in the book that one might want to look up

D) there are links to websites in the book

E) it does contain theological material. Perhaps I might want to compare it to other theological works in my library

F) there are study questions located throughout the book. Perhaps, I might want to make notes on them or refer to other works in my library in the notes.

It seems really odd to me that I must justify why I think this book should be in Accordance when it is about theology and written by one of the more prominent theologians of our day.

Edited by Greg Terry

Hi, Greg,

I am genuinely curious what the perceived advantages are to having books that are not biblical reference works in Accordance. It was intellectual inquisitiveness. That's all.

Thanks for your responses; they were helpful to see.

Yeah, those were good answers. I'm not familiar with that work and from its title it does not immediately suggest that it would be the sort of work we might expect to find in Accordance, given that Accordance tends to favour material that is centred on the Bible, and is not simply an ebook platform.

It looks to be a truly helpful resource. Somewhat along the line of John Owen's Biblical Theology book which traces the history of all sorts of 'religious' movements from Adam onward but includes a great deal of arguments indicating where they fall short of Christian doctrine.

Only having looked at the book a few times, I think we may be a bit mislead by the word, 'Philosophy' in the title. It does pay heed to many of the purely philosophical movements but it is written by a very committed Reformed pastor and teacher who has written many purely Christian theological books. Therefore, it isn't just philosophy in general but includes theology from the Christian viewpoint. Dr. Frame has had at least one gold medal winning theological work and if I am not mistaken Accordance has some of his works available to purchase currently.

Perhaps, a better explanation than my meager attempt can be gathered directly from Dr. Frame himself. Here is a link to a podcast when he was a guest being interviewed about this book:

http://reformedforum.org/ctc417/ 

Thanks for giving me an opportunity attempt the explanation even though I must admit I was a bit unsettled at first. Please accept my apologies if I seemed a bit abrupt with my first reply.

Thanks for the link. I have a set of Owen's work as PDFs, I am looking for his biblical theology now.

• 3 weeks later...

Alistair,

I suspect Owen's Biblical Theology book may be difficult to find as a pdf or ebook. It was originally one of Owen's latin works. Heritage Books has an English edition at a reasonable cost.

http://www.heritagebooks.org/products/biblical-theology-the-history-of-theology-from-adam-to-christ-owen.html

Alistair,

I suspect Owen's Biblical Theology book may be difficult to find as a pdf or ebook. It was originally one of Owen's latin works. Heritage Books has an English edition at a reasonable cost.

http://www.heritagebooks.org/products/biblical-theology-the-history-of-theology-from-adam-to-christ-owen.html

I couldn't find it among my PDFs.