Question about "range" command

Martin Z

I want, for example, to search for every words in Eph 1-2.

One way is to set range in the range box.

But I want to use the range command instead.

I set up command as:  [RANGE eph 1-2] <AND> *

However, the research returns every word in the entire book of Ephesians, not within the range of chs. 1-2.

Searching for  [RANGE eph 3-4] <AND> * returns the same result (every word in the entire book).

Looks like Accordance ignores the chapter range.

May I ask why is that? And how can I search for words only within the designated chapter range? (Using the range command, not the range box).

Thanks!

Martin

Hi Martin,

I don't know what you mean by "the research" returns every word ... I checked the Analysis pane for Eph 1-2 and the hits (counts and actual words) differ from those for the entire book. Defining a range shows the same result. <AND> is not required in such searches either. You can just do "* [range eph 1-2]", but it makes no difference to the result.

Any chance you could post an image of the workspace as you have it set up ?

Thx

D

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your help.

I meant "search" not "research". Sorry about the confusion (I did not see editing option for my own post. It is weird...)

If I leave "AND" out, it returns an error information.

post-32138-0-71721300-1474331932_thumb.png

With "AND", I got chs. 3-6 included in my search result, not chs. 1-2, as I set in the range command.

post-32138-0-38432600-1474331953_thumb.png

Why is your Scope set to Book?  This explains it - you are saying "Show me all words in the same book as words in the Eph 1-2 range".

Dude ! Fastest post in the west ! Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Martin also, on the [RANGE eph 1-2] * giving an error. It won't if you put the * first - ie. on the left.

Thx

D

Ah! That it is. Thank you so much, Joel.

I thought scope only affects certain searches such as "syntax search" and "within ?? words".

Is it possible to let Accordance show a warning message when the "assigned range" is narrower than the "scope"?

Edited by martinacc

Dude ! Fastest post in the west ! Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Martin also, on the [RANGE eph 1-2] * giving an error. It won't if you put the * first - ie. on the left.

Thx

D

Wow! You guys are amazing!

Thanks a lot!