Best way to sync/merge IOS User Notes with Mac User Notes?

Evan Bryant

Hi,

This is pretty basic, but after trying a number of things, I still haven't figured it out.

I add a lot of User Notes on my iPhone during the day, and would like to move them to my desktop every evening/as often as possible. In case something were ever to happen to my phone, I never want to lose my notes! So I want to know if there's a fast and simple way to sync and merge my IOS User Notes with my User Notes on my Mac. I can easily sync my phone with my computer, but since I have so many modules synced, it takes a long time. Is there a way to just sync and merge a single User Note file?

Thanks for your help!

Evan 

Thanks, Chris!

I just watched the tutorial, and I'm about to give it a try. One quick question before I do, though. If I've made notes on my iPhone in the User Note file "Evan's Notes," as well as new notes on my Mac in the User Notes file "Evan's Notes" (the same User Notes file), will a Dropbox sync automatically merge them together? In other words, will new notes I've made on my Mac appear on my iPhone, and vice versa? I'm assuming there's no possibility that I'll lose notes I've made on one device or the other...right?

Thanks again, for your help!

Evan 

Thanks again, Chris.

I just completed the Dropbox sync. It worked, but not without some interesting bugs.

Most interesting was that when I executed the sync, my iPhone Accordance Theme was set to "Night." When I checked my Mac User Notes to see if the notes from my iPhone had indeed synced, I could see the note icons, indicating I had made a note, but the fields appeared empty! Then I realized that the font was set to white, due to the "Night" setting, and thus invisible on a white background. I had to manually change the font color on those notes on my Mac in order to see them. I'm sure I'll discover other ghost notes in the future, but at least I know what happened. And next time I sync with Dropbox I'll make sure my Accordance IOS theme is set to "Day"! 

The other strange bug was that a couple of lines of text in my iPhone notes appeared overlapping on my Mac. I had to click all over the place to figure out how to delete the offending text and retype it.

Another strange thing, which seemed to do no harm, was that there were hundreds of notes that Dropbox identified as duplicates and asked for me to manually select which note to keep: the note on my Mac or the note on my iPhone. Since they were all identical, it was easy to choose, but it worried me that maybe the merge function wasn't working properly...at least it seems to me that the merge function has difficulty when the notes are identical.

So, while the sync was successful overall, it was a bit more exciting than I would have expected. Maybe you've come across some or all of these bugs yourself and work is already being done to correct them. If not, add these to your list!

Thanks again!

Evan 

Edited by Evan Bryant

That the text came over as white is clearly a bug because we should only be changing the font color to white when drawing the default text color in night mode. All edits should be saved in the default text color.

When editing your notes on your iOS device, are you making use of different text colors for some portions of the note? Maybe in the night mode setting when changing the color of selected note text from say blue to white, it is actually storing white instead of recognizing that portion of the note should use the default color.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Scott Knapp