Drew_A

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Hello All,

Just starting intermediate (2nd year) Greek. While we are focused mainly on readings, we are using Wallace's syntax. While an excellent comprehensive text, it is really hard to wrap my head around all the vast categories.  Actually it's becoming quite discouraging. Perhaps others have felt this way?

In any case, does any one have any good additional resources to learn these syntax concepts?  I really would love a video class of some sort (as we aren't really discussing the text during class.) Or as a possibility someone who does tutoring? Good modules I've missed that could show syntactical category options? (I have the syntax module for GNT)

Much appreciate any help/guidance!

Drew

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 9,941 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 02:45 PM

William Mounce has excellent resources available in Accordance, and a website with lots of video tutorials. Also see biblicaltraining.org, a free Accordance module with links to the website.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Drew_A

Drew_A

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Thanks Helen. Yes I used Mounce's materials for first year. Excellent on all fronts. I was hoping to find something for intermediate using the same methodology.

#4 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 PM

Drew, have you tried Max Zerwick's Biblical Greek? That could be a helpful companion.

Also, you didn't ask about morphology, but if the reading portion of your class ever requires you to have your inflections down, Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek is a great resource (and available in Accordance).

What is it that's discouraging--the number of concepts and terminology, or some of the categories/concepts themselves?

Edited by Abram K-J, Yesterday, 09:50 PM.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#5 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

I find Wallace's book is best dipped into, reading a chapter or a chunk on the question at hand and then going back to reading Greek. Reading it cover to cover would probably hurt. It would be instructive but unless you can retain a good deal of information until you spot examples in the wild, it will seem very hard. What reader are you using ? I am currently going through Decker, Koine Greek Reader - its great and goes beyond the NT which useful. For a potted pithy post-first year grammar you might try something like David Allan Black's It's Still Greek to Me. You might also find Rodney Whitacre's Using and Enjoying Biblical Greek worth a look.

A reading group might be fun for a change if you can find one where people actually meet and read together. There are some online ones. I did one for a while and would again if time permitted. Having fun with language is a sure way to help with discouragement.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.1.5                       Accordance 11.1.5
      OSX 10.10.5 (Yosemite)                  Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#6 Drew_A

Drew_A

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted Today, 12:36 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions Gents!

"What is it that's discouraging?" - I think it's more the amount of categories and remembering the names/uses etc... For example: going a simple use of the genitive as the case of 'possession' (key word is 'of') to possibly 27 different uses really threw me.

Morphology is really making sense to me. I love that Mounce book so very much. It has been essential for me to move forward.

I like the idea of an online group. I'll see if I can track down one.

BTW D: ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν - ha! (i love that I can read this - and it made my day)

• Abram K-J likes this

#7 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted Today, 02:10 PM

Drew, I wonder if you might also enjoy using the Baylor Handbooks on the Greek Text... they vary from volume to volume, but they show the naming of grammatical categories in action, within the context of a specific biblical book. That might make it easier to keep everything straight, or at least situate it within a biblical book so that you're not just rote memorizing categories. (Which itself has more value than folks admit, I think, but a reading context is most helpful, in my view.)
  • Emanuel Cardona likes this

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users