Oak Tree hyperbole

Alistair

I received a nice email telling me that "For clergy, great books are the best investments this side of heaven."

No they're not.

I propose that "Quality time with family is the best investment this side of heaven"

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

Being a bit of a bibliophile I value books immensely. That said an illiterate Christian who can truly love everyone, forgive without limit and loves God has made a far better investment than buying books. The sales statement is truly is hyperbole but we live in culture that seems to demand it. "This is the greatest movie ever" must come out several times a year. I do expect better of Christian marketer's but that said we all slip and make errors. Great books are a good investment.... but I agree with you not the best. Indeed it could be strongly argued that the money spent of many books would be well more spent on feeding and clothing the homeless.... 

-Dan

• Like 1

Knowing you, Alistair, I'm guessing you meant your post to be a light-hearted quip.

I'm going to mention that before someone takes it differently and blows up this thread.

• Like 1

Was not meaning to blow it up Dr. J. just agreeing that it is an untrue statement from theological point of view. 

-Dan

• Like 1

I saw that email and thought the same. This comes to mind:

"If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing."

• Like 2

"Abba Lot came to Abba Joseph and said: Father, according as I am able, I keep my little rule, and my little fast, my prayer, meditation and contemplative silence; and, according as I am able, I strive to cleanse my heart of thoughts: now what more should I do? The elder rose up in reply and stretched out his hands to heaven, and his fingers became like ten lamps of fire. He said: Why not become fire?"

• Like 2