Comparing Words in Parallel Passages

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I was looking at Matthew's use of γρηγορέω today, and wanted to see how many times it is carried over from Mark, and how many times it is unique to Matthew.

The only way I found to do so is to:

1)do a search for γρηγορέω in the GNT-T

2)Control-click on a hit and choose "Highlight all hits" (to make them easier to find)

3)click on a particular verse in the hits and amplify to one of the Parallels (e.g. Gospels)

4)Visually compare the two panes to locate the occurrences of γρηγορέω and determine if they are parallels or not.

Is there an easier way? I did some searching of the forums before posting. I didn't find an exact match to my current situation, and what I did find did not suggest a better method.

I've gotten the information I need for today, but I thought I'd ask in case there is a better way.

Lorinda

I agree it is not very sophisticated, but is it not easier to search for γρηγορέω in each gospel separately, tile the windows (you may need to detach a tab) and simply visually compare the hit verses, maybe with some context? With my very limited Greek even I can identify the parallel and non-parallel uses.

Yes, that works fine, Helen. Certainly much easier than scrolling through the parallels. I so rarely work with detached tabs and tiled windows that it simply didn't occur to me.

Thanks for the answer!

Lorinda

Archived