Definitions

ssar17

I am new to Accordance and somewhat new to Bible study. Is there a definition document that explains some of the terms Accordance uses or basic Bible terms (not scripture terms)? I find that some of the podcasts refer to things I am not familiar with and at a disadvantage.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can you give some examples of terms you have heard that you want defined.

I still find that there is far too much jargon used generally in the books i read which i have to go and look up and that is after 40 years of studying. Comes from having a RAM (being lost each time i power down to sleep).

;o)

Hey ssar17,

Are you looking for something like a Bible Studies Glossary ? One example (I cannot vouch for the definitions) is http://www.read-the-bible.org/glossary.html.

If you are more concerned about the software's own terminology then you'll want to go through The Accordance Interface section of the help which will explain things like workspaces, panes, tabs and so on.

Thx

D

The main Accordance website  provides a set of excellent resources under the Support tab.  Also, at the bottom of the main site page you will see several columns of links that are very useful. In the first column called "Why Accordance", you should find the "Feature Tour" link that will take you to a page of descriptions and short videos about Accordance features. These resources got me off and running very quickly when I started with Accordance in mid December of 2015.

Shalom,

Joseph

There are many different resources for finding out about how Accordance works. Among them are the "Lighting the Lamp" podcast. A list of recommended podcasts for new users can be found on the website. Also Accordance comes with thorough help files.

There is also a tool in Accordance called Dr. J's Bible Study Methods which is designed to help anyone to start out studying the Bible.

Thanks for all the great replies! I appreciate everyone trying to help. The linked website is great. I am not as familiar or remember some Bible abbreviations. The linked website will help immensely! I am watching a lot of the podcasts and have signed up for a lot of the webinars and that is helping as well. I was not knowing some words used like ASV, CEI, NRSV, pricopie, apparatus the latter I think being more of an Accordance term but I cold be wrong. I will look up all these terms in the linked website to see if I can find those terms like i did for pricopie.

A mixture of terms

Asv and nrsv refer to english translations of the original language text (and are modules in accordance).

A good way to find out is to type the wird into the accordance search engine on the web site.

Asv is american standard version

Nrsv is the new revised standard version ( sometimes called the new really sound version).

You will also come across esv and kjv (english standard version and king james version) but jps is jewish publishing society. You will often see a s or gk at the end which means the text is 'tagged' so when you click on it you can see the underlying original language and the s is for strongs tagging and the gk is a different tagging method

The more you use the site, the more you will get used to certain terms.

Apparatus is heavy original language stuff!

Hope this helps start your journey.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser