How to find a certain Strong's key # in all keyed texts

EricC

This has to be pretty simple, but I'd never tried it before. When I did, it didn't work. I put H0645 into the Research field thinking Accordance would search everything to see where H0645 occurs in Bible translations tagged with Strong's numbers in Accordance. No go.

Then I opened a key-number tagged Bible text and went to Proverbs 6:3 where this word (אֵפוֹ) occurs. I thought that I might be able to work back from that. No go.

What I'd like is to see how the various translations translate this one word. Ideally, I'd like to see texts tagged with GK numbers, too.

Thanks!

I see that in the interlinear, I can right click and search for key number. But that only brings up that one text. Do I have to attach a bunch of parallel Bibles (all tagged with key numbers) in order to get what I want? When I do that, the hits are not highlighted in the parallels that I've added, so it makes it cumbersome.

Edited by EricC

In research try selecting All Texts, ENGLISH and then enter [key H0645]

Is that what you are looking for ?

Thx

D

Thank you, Daniel. That does it. I knew it had to be pretty simple. :)

The results look like this:

post-3736-0-25325000-1477459511_thumb.png

Is there a way to make it so all versions with hits are tiled or in columns so it's easy to scan the results? Or can I use Analysis or something to quickly scan the results?

Hmmmm.... not exactly sure what you would like but I'm guessing you want the verses of each translation aligned so you can compare verse by verse. Is that right ?

If so then I would do this differently. You cannot do this directly from the research tab, but you could open tabs for each translation of interest and set up the key search in one and then use [link tabname] from all the other tabs. Set the context to zero and you'll get them side by side.

If you save a workspace with such a setup you can use it to do other similar comparisons later, just by searching for the key in the first tab.

Thx

D

Do you have either of the Mounce dictionaries installed?

From the Introduction of the Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament:-

This dictionary includes all words represented in the Old Testament. The first line of each entry includes the G/K and Strong’s number (** are used when there is not a corresponding Strong’s number). Following this are the Hebrew/Aramaic word, its transliteration, and for more significant words its frequency count is also included. Note however that the frequency counts were originally derived from the NIV Concordance and may differ in form and number from the BHS. On the second line are the part of speech, cognate relationship (if applicable), and English definition. The third line includes a series of Word Study hyperlinks which search the corresponding English version for the key number(s) under discussion. Note that there will be variations in frequency and usage in each version depending on the translation, and tagging philosophy.

“Introduction,” Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament, paragraph 8.

Attached is a screenshot which shows it in action. Don;t think the format is exactly what you are looking for but possibly a few steps closer to what you are wanting.

post-33308-0-72246900-1477461357_thumb.png

… then use [link tabname] from all the other tabs. …

Daniel,

Is this (what you called "[link tabname]") the same as "TabTies"? I dont' think so, but I don't understand how to do "[link tabname]".

post-3736-0-55873900-1477463201_thumb.png

Ahhh! I see. It's like this:

post-3736-0-42739100-1477463374_thumb.png

But I still just have a row of tabs across the top of the workspace, and can't see the results highlighted all at once.

Here's my workspace (zipped):

EC Search for Key# (EN).accord.zip

Do you have either of the Mounce dictionaries installed?

Attached is a screenshot which shows it in action. Don;t think the format is exactly what you are looking for but possibly a few steps closer to what you are wanting.

Thank you, Michael. I do have both of the Mounce dictionaries.

Almost .... just pull each tab out so they are side by side like this :

post-32023-0-69151500-1477488507_thumb.jpg

Grab each tab one by one and move them - click and hold and as you move each to the right hand border you will see a grey silhouette of where it will land if you release the mouse key.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Grab each tab one by one and move them - click and hold and as you move each to the right hand border you will see a grey silhouette of where it will land if you release the mouse key.

Yes, indeed! Thanks, Daniel.

After I did that, I changed the Strong's key # to see if the others would update to that one. They did not. Is there something I need to do to make them update? I.e., do I need to put my cursor individually in each search box and press Enter? Or is there some other more intuitive way?

Edited by EricC

Yes, indeed! Thanks, Daniel.

After I did that, I changed the Strong's key # to see if the others would update to that one. They did not. Is there something I need to do to make them update? I.e., do I need to put my cursor individually in each search box and press Enter? Or is there some other more intuitive way?

Hi Eric, make sure you have pressed return in the search box where you changed the key number. They should all update automatically once the main search has been done. If you have done that, can you post you acc version and a screenshot of your workspace? Thanks

Ok Eric I'm not exactly sure what is happening in your case. I just tried it again and it's fine. I do note that you are using a mix of tagging schemes in your setup. 1 is G/K rather than Strong's tagging. You might try dropping out the NIV and see if that makes a difference.

I downloaded your workspace and indeed it did not update all linked tabs when the first tab query changed. I did remove the NIV pane and indeed some numbers do not match so it's probably a good idea. Where there are no matches in a tab it will fail to execute the search in that tab. H0648 for example is not apparently a GK number. But H0645 is, of course as they are different numbering systems though the search runs you are not necessarily searching for the same thing, so again I would remove it. However it's not the reason the auto-update is not working. I also turned off the recycle button on each tab but that didn't make any difference. I relinked all the links to the KJV tab and executed each one manually once. Then everything was good and they auto-updated as I changed the first one.

Is it perhaps possible you had another workspace open at the same time with tab names that duplicated the ones in this w/s ? If you do that LINK commands could have problems linking to the one you expect. I had problem initially loading your workspace because my example one had the same names in some tabs.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thank you, Daniel, for that explanation. I'll work on it – perhaps tomorrow. I'll try to remember to post my findings. :)

Thanks again!

Daniel & others.

I"ve got it working now. When I press Enter in the search field, all tabs update. Thank you!

To make it work, I renamed the "main" tab to "KJVS" and then changed all the links to "[link KJVS]". So probably it was a problem that I had other workspaces open with "KJV with Strong's" as the name of a tab or tabs.

The NIV GK tab "pretends" to work, i.e., Accordance finds hits, but they are not the same as the other texts key-coded to Strong's. I assume it's just finding the same numbered item in the GK scheme of things. I'll just zap that tab.

I appreciate your help very much.

But there is one other issue. When I click on the down arrow at the bottom of the "main" search tab, it goes down one verse at a time. But the others do not. So other than looking at the first one or two references, it's still not much better than manually clicking in each tab. Is there a way to tie scrolling? I tried clicking on the gear and seeing what's in that menu, but nothing helped.

By way of a possible feature request, seems to me that if you've got a workspace like open, you should be able to click on any reference in any tab (or the "main" tab from which the search was done), and have all the other tabs go to that verse. Or maybe that's already available some other way?

Try tie-ing the tabs together. The tab has a pull down menu, the one you may have used to rename the tab. There is a Tab Ties item there. Tie all the tabs to the KJV one and see if that helps. Seems to work ok for me in a quick test.

thx

D

Try tie-ing the tabs together. The tab has a pull down menu, the one you may have used to rename the tab. There is a Tab Ties item there. Tie all the tabs to the KJV one and see if that helps. Seems to work ok for me in a quick test.

thx

D

Thanks, Daniel. That does it! I've a long way to go before I get my mind around many of Accordance's capabilities!

Edited by EricC