Rick Bennett

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,561 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

In this thread, I was trying to figure out how to search for translations from a given original word coded with Strong's. I had the NIV with G/K numbers also in my workspace (below). I just assumed the G/K numbers were cross-coded to the Strong's ones wherever they could be. Not so. The workspace would not tie/link properly until I removed the one text that used the G/K numbers and left only ones with Strong's numbers. So that means I cannot do this search quickly for the NIV since I have to figure out what G/K number matches the Strong's number and then do a separate search.

Therefore, I agree that linking these together would be a great improvement.

Thanks,

Eric

attachicon.gifEC Search for Key# (EN).accord.zip

STRANGE THING: the Accordance forum won't let me upload an *.accord file (workspace), but if I zip it, it's OK.

I think there are more ways to approach this question rather than relying strictly on the key number. I'm out of time today to offer any further suggestions, but will try to do so in that thread later.

• EricC likes this

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development

#22 Michael Hunt

Michael Hunt

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Twitter:oddsocks
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

What catches me out when searching and cutting and pasting numbers, is that some tools use g and h prefixes while other tools dont have a prefix and just use the number (obviously the publishers dont care about other reference documents when dealing with hard copy but in an electronic environment...)

But its just fabulous being able to search multiple resources quickly and its only a couple of clicks to add or remove the letter as required. (Need to start using the full fat version more, just too easy to pick up ipad.)

;o)

Looking good Fraser. Now you just need an eink device with real pages and leather binding to be invented and you are set.

Any chance of a screen shot of the display preferences you have for NIDNTTE?
Formerly known as oddsocks

#23 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

Thanks rick, the problem is that while i can use different hebrew tools for hebrew. But as soon as i wanted to explore in mounce expository, it is an english tool so not available and then when i wanted to explore soul in greek, from english tools i cant go into greek tools, hence a lot of copying and pasting.

one day...

But until then, its great having what we have and interlinear is just sooooooo good.

Nidntte is default though i switch between 16 and 18 point.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser, 31 October 2016 - 04:32 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#24 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

I looked up a transliteration in the NIDOTTE (Hebel). I decided to look it up in the ESV using its key number. I copied the key number out of the NIDOTTE and pasted it into an ESV search window like this:

[Range Eccl] [Key H2039]

It couldn't find it. The NIDOTTE used GK and the ESV wants Strong's. That's an area where I have a "manual" entry issue. My initial suggestion was that on failure it automatically convert the GK number to Strong's and either try the search again or ask if I wanted to do a search with the Strong's number.

Just today I've ran into the key number problem twice in my normal course of study. In any given Accordance session lasting an hour or more, I usually run into it in some form about 3-5 times.

As I said before, maybe it's just me and I have a goofy way of doing things. If so, just ignore it and pray for me. :-)

Thanks

Edited by Brett K., 31 October 2016 - 05:16 PM.

• EricC likes this

#25 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Or you could use the niv with enhanced Gk when using gk based tools. (Sometimes the niv more formal than the so called formal translations!)

;o)
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#26 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

This one is still driving me crazy. I triple-clicked a word in the ESVS. It opens to the entry in Kohlenberger/Mounce Hebrew with the Strong's number in the search field. Now I want to switch to the NIDOTTE. I change to that tool and the search field becomes "Hebrew Entry" and the Strong's number is the value. Obviously that won't work. But the NIDOTTE doesn't use Strong's numbers--only GK. Then I have to go back to the Kohlenberger/Mounce, copy the GK number, go back to the NIDOTTE, switch the search field to GK number, then paste the value. I'm exhausted.

It would be very cool if I'm in Kohlenberger/Mounce, I switch to NIDOTTE, and it automatically goes to the correct word.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

#27 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,046 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Why not select the Hebrew word in K/M and then amplify to NIDOTTE?

Or triple-click the original Hebrew word in a parallel Hebrew text. Then it will search for the Lexical form and you can usually change the resource and still find the word.

• Unix likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#28 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

I don't mean this to be snippy, but why not just switch to the NIDOTTE and have Accordance look up the same word I'm already looking at in K/M?

Yes there are extra steps and ways to do it, but ideally, Accordance would show me the word I'm already looking at.

I'm looking at it in the K/M. It knows the strong's key from the ESV triple click. When I change the pop-up menu to the NIDOTTE, it would be cool for it to automatically open to that word. That's why I mentioned that it would be cool if Accordance had a little extra AI and could relate the strong's key to the g/k key when necessary. Or even have it understand the g/k key, the hebrew word, transliteration, etc. based on the strong's key. Then, if you switch to a tool that doesn't have a strong's key, Accordance automatically uses one of the other attributes to find the word in the tool to which you switch.

Basically, when you first do the triple-click search, Accordance stores all of the available fields and values for that word in some kind of "search array" (or "search object"). The object's properties contain all of the data for that word (strong's key, g/k key, hebrew, transliteration, etc.) which it gathers from whatever sources Accordance has avilalble--or some kind of back-end master lexicon. When you switch to a tool that doesn't have the strong's key, it calls a method from the search object to determine which property the tool can use then inserts one of the search object's other properties into a field the tool does contain.

Instead, every time a tool doesn't have the field for the current search value, I have to manually tell it to use some other field to search that tool (and possibly have to go back and get the correct value for that field from the previous tool). I am doing the work that could be contained in the search object.

Accordance is awesome, I know I'm just getting greedy. :-) I would just like to be able to triple click the ESV then switch to whichever Hebrew (or Greek) tool I want and have it know which word I want to see based on the info passed when I triple clicked. Otherwise, I'm just relooking up the same word over again using different methods. I want Accordance to be smarter than me and know what I want before I want it. :-)

Edited by Brett K., 13 June 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#29 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

I want Accordance to be smarter than me and know what I want before I want it. :-)

Maybe this comes with the Siri intergration. Apple is pushing the artificial intelligence.

Or you do http://accordancefil....htm#kanchor224for your preferred Lexicons. Which came with 11.2.

Greetings

Fabian

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with SuperRetina OLED, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU, SSD and more RAM.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Accordance 12.2.4 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone X 256GB

iOS 11.2.6

Accordance Mobile 2.6.4.9492

#30 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Yes, I have that all set up. But I consult many lexicons not just my preferred.

Thanks

#31 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

If you have one lexicon open you can click in the opened module and then with arrow left and right go through all your lexicons very quickly IF you have Attached File  Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-13 um 16.30.53.png   110.5KB   0 downloads.

Greetings

Fabian

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with SuperRetina OLED, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU, SSD and more RAM.

iPhone X 256GB

iOS 11.2.6

#32 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Except it cannot find the current word if that word was found by strong's key (triple-click) and the next tool does not have a strong's key field.

Thanks

#33 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Then you have to organize your library in which the modules with Strong's tagging are together. Beginning from the top (Mounce) with the same module which you have set in the Setup-Assistent (under the Help menu).

The second part, you have anyway to do for a good experience with Accordance.

Greetings

Fabiana

Edited by Fabian, 13 June 2017 - 09:44 AM.

• Unix likes this

Greetings

Fabian

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

iPhone X 256GB

iOS 11.2.6

#34 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Now you are getting it. Ideally, I shouldn't have to do that. Accordance should know. I should be able to triple-click a word in a text, it opens using the strong's key in the preferred lexicon, then when I switch to any other lexicon in the same language, it automatically finds that word whether it has the strong's key field or not.

I know how to work around it. But that's the problem. I want Accordance to work around it for me. Go back and read my "search object" paragraph for a very rough, very off the top of my head thought on how it may work (even though I know nothing of the Accordance programming). I'm simply saying it can be done and it would make Accordance that much smarter.

Again, I love Accordance. It's awesome. It would just be cool if the application itself became even smarter in how it handles the situation I mention. That could accelerate our speed to the singularity, but I'll take that risk. :-)

Thanks

Edited by Brett K., 13 June 2017 - 09:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users