Status on Universal Binary?

Ted

It's coming along nicely, in alpha testing now.

May I ask what the biggest benefit of having Accordance in UB will be? Sorry for the display of ignorance.

May I ask what the biggest benefit of having Accordance in UB will be? Sorry for the display of ignorance.

From my understanding if your on an intel mac running a universal binary application you get a much higher performance from the application than one would from running a non universal binary app through emulation such as using Roseta.

Is the performance increase simply a speed boost or other wise? And is the increase significant?

Here's a recent page on benchmarks for PPC apps running using Rosetta emulation on Intel Macs:

http://www.macworld.com/article/53814/2006/11/rosetta.html

Which is more, have Rosetta running uses system resources... regardless of how the app itself does. Maxing our your RAM can minimalize the actual effects.

Speaking from actual tests, not only does the IntelAcc have less overhead, and starts up faster (I've noticed the first time opening a Rosetta application it takes additional 10 seconds), but I've found searches and intensive processing to be about 30% faster (not a scientifically tested number). This was estimated doing a full concordance of the bible (* search time and concordance building time were both improved about the same amount).

Speaking from actual tests, not only does the IntelAcc have less overhead, and starts up faster (I've noticed the first time opening a Rosetta application it takes additional 10 seconds), but I've found searches and intensive processing to be about 30% faster (not a scientifically tested number). This was estimated doing a full concordance of the bible (* search time and concordance building time were both improved about the same amount).

Interesting Joel. Thanks for posting.

Since Accordance is the only known application on my mac that uses rosetta, i do noticed it takes a long time upon first launch. You got me all excited with the speed increase now. Cant wait for it to come out universal binary :)

The Universal Binary should provide a big difference in the User Tool editing speed. That is one area of Accordance that really needs the speed boost. It can be pretty slow in the present version.

• 2 months later...
It's coming along nicely, in alpha testing now.

I'm excited. Any thoughts on whether this will be a paid upgrade?

Yes this is a major upgrade in which we have invested much, and we will charge for it. As well as the Universal Binary there are exciting new features coming.

I just moved up from the Powerbook 1.25 to the Macbook Pro 2.4, so I am eager to see the availability of version 8(?).

I just moved up from the Powerbook 1.25 to the Macbook Pro 2.4, so I am eager to see the availability of version 8(?).

I'm with all the above. Accordance is so excellent, we are eager to move ahead into the Intel version!

I with ya'll. (Saying ya'll cracks me up for some reason)

I think it may be the last of the rosetta apps in my library. Be nice to get a universal. Im running Logos Beta for mac and I think that is universal from my understanding.

Looking forward to using both Logos and Accordance side by side in my learning arsenal.

http://img.skitch.com/20080320-f5hpt1cj3gwq1q1ife5cjcsjde.png

Archived