Cannot get research options drop down to work on Mac Sierra

rpavich

I'm following these directions with Accordance 12 for "Research Groups and when I get to the research tab, and it seems that the drop down isn't working.
Here are the directions:

Research Groups

The Research tab provides you with the option of performing a search using either default module groups or user-created User Groups. When none of these groups meets your needs, you can create your own custom Research Group. To create a Custom Research group and perform a group search, do the following:

1. Open an empty Research tab by doing one of the following:
  2. On the File menu, choose New Tab>Research.
  3. On the Workspace toolbar, Click the Research Options pop-up menu in the Research box.

Here is a link to the page explaining how to do it.

http://accordancefiles2.com/helpfiles/Win12/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/search_groups_of_modules.htm

I'm running a Macbook pro from 2014.

Screen shot of my system included.

post-33196-0-48107500-1478270898_thumb.jpg

There's an awful lot to explain in the new features, and the help is still a work in progress. I think you want to create a custom group, and this is where you can find the option:

Research-Options.png

There's an awful lot to explain in the new features, and the help is still a work in progress. I think you want to create a custom group, and this is where you can find the option:

attachicon.gifResearch-Options.png

Yes, that's what I was trying to do but the directions say that when you choose custom, a thing called the "Edit custom research dialog box" will pop up and it didn't for me...so something is wrong, either in my steps or the directions.

Any ideas?

It is not designed to work from the toolbar menu - this should be removed and the help updated.

Edit: Though, thinking about it more, it may be possible to do.  Either way, that is not how it was designed for 12.0 :)

It is not designed to work from the toolbar menu - this should be removed and the help updated.

Edit: Though, thinking about it more, it may be possible to do.  Either way, that is not how it was designed for 12.0 :)

So, to clarify...the box shouldn't pop up?

If not, then how to I define the custom groups resources?

Let me start over.  One of the new 12 features is to allow temporary custom groups for Research.  This helps users quickly throw some resources together and search them, rather than having to wade through unneeded results, or to more-laboriously define a User Group.

To do this, open a Research tab (File -> New Tab -> Research) or reuse an existing research tab.  From the research tab, select '[Custom]' from the group selection menu to the left of the entry box.  The box will appear letting you quickly add different texts or tools to your custom group. Hit 'Update' to save these settings.  If you want to change your custom group, just select [Custom] from the menu again.

The only issue is that, selecting [Custom] from the options popup in the research search field on the toolbar, does not do anything.

Let me start over.  One of the new 12 features is to allow temporary custom groups for Research.  This helps users quickly throw some resources together and search them, rather than having to wade through unneeded results, or to more-laboriously define a User Group.

To do this, open a Research tab (File -> New Tab -> Research) or reuse an existing research tab.  From the research tab, select '[Custom]' from the group selection menu to the left of the entry box.  The box will appear letting you quickly add different texts or tools to your custom group. Hit 'Update' to save these settings.  If you want to change your custom group, just select [Custom] from the menu again.

The only issue is that, selecting [Custom] from the options popup in the research search field on the toolbar, does not do anything.

That was clear and now that box popped up just like it's supposed to!

Oh well, it's working now.

Thanks for the help.

And then let me ask...so to keep this group of resources for later, you save it as a user group and name it and then you can always search this particular set of resources by choosing it.

true?