Searching for texts based on an idea

William Cross

I own a ton of Accordance modules that I have collected since 2000. Often in the course of a week I will think of a topic or idea that I would like to find helpful scripture verses on quickly. The idea that I am searching on does not always correspond to a verse containing that exact word or thought in my search string.

Regularly I pull up Google, type in the idea, and get results immediately, some that are helpful and some not so much. I always think that I should be using Accordance for this (since I have invested so much into it), but I can never remember the best way to do it. 

I want to just go to the research tab, type in the thought and have it compile the info for me, but it never seems to find what I am looking for (as the search process is so literal) or if it does, I have to search and search thru the results to find anything helpful or related.

I do own The Topical Textbook, Nave's Topical Bible, numerous Bible dictionaries, theologies, cross-references, encyclopedias, commentaries, and study bibles.

A simple example would be finding verses that relate to "God as creator of everything". I would want this search to find verses that not only contain the words "God", "creator", "everything", but also "made", "formed", "brought into existence" "the heavens", "the stars", "plants", "animals" etc...

Is there an easy way to achieve this with Accordance?

• Like 2

Could you imagine the fun with Siri or Cortana integrated with Accordance! Could be like technology Isaac Asimov described being used in his Foundation Trilogy, or better yet, a friendly Star Trek computer.

Shalom,

Joseph

I have actually thought about this very thing. Google is just an easy and valuable searching tool. We've gotten spoiled for sure. I do the same thing, I sometimes hit google to get an idea of what passages are relevant and then go back into Accordance.

And just for the record, it's not just Accordance, I've had this issue with every piece of bible software I've ever owned. 

I think that fuzzy search might be useful on topical stuff or journals for finding things like this. I also find that searching like this helps: God <WITHIN 5 WORDS> creator <AND> (creator, sun, moon, stars, universe, heavens) does a pretty good job.

Maybe folks who are good at searching can chime in.

Edited by rpavich

• 2 years later...

These searches work the way You say!I Accordance satisfies me. I'm reminded (had put this idea away for a decade) that I need an English thesaurus in leather covers! One that would cover lots of animate objects:

I think that fuzzy search might be useful on topical stuff or journals for finding things like this. I also find that searching like this helps: God <WITHIN 5 WORDS> creator <AND> (creator, sun, moon, stars, universe, heavens) does a pretty good job.

Maybe folks who are good at searching can chime in.

As I grow my Accordance library with great excitement, I'm also a proponent of any addition or improvement that would increase search functionality and potential.  So, in principle, I'm in total support of the "idea search."  No doubt, there have been many times when it would have helped me.  That being said, rpavich's suggestion...

I also find that searching like this helps: God <WITHIN 5 WORDS> creator <AND> (creator, sun, moon, stars, universe, heavens) does a pretty good job.

is a magnificent one.  And it will function even better if Accordance implements some of the fixes / improvements / additions that have been proposed here.  These latter don't equate to an actual "idea search," per se, but they will undoubtedly bring us all that much closer to it.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Can we have a tagging feature where we can tag certain verses and sections of our resources with our own tags?

Then when we execute a tag search we'll consistently get the results of the research we have done before.

• Like 2

Can we have a tagging feature where we can tag certain verses and sections of our resources with our own tags?

Then when we execute a tag search we'll consistently get the results of the research we have done before.

The power, flexibility of custom tagging would be a tremendous addition to Accordance.

Community shared tags?  

How would you envision that working?