Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

Zondervan is withdrawing WBC v. 44 in print and digital format and destroying all copies.

I assume they will instruct Accordance to do the same. Will Accordance be updating the WBC NT module to remove volume 44? If so, is there any way we can keep a copy?

Thank you

#2 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 813 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

Our normal procedure would be to remove it at the publisher's request, but continue to have it available as a separate module for anyone who had purchased the volume in the past.

• Brett K. likes this

#3 Brett K.

Brett K.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:48 PM

Thank you for the info.

#4 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

"Commonly accepted standards" sounds quite vague to me.

Why didn't the series editor catch this when the MS was submitted?

Are they planning to examine all the works of all their authors in the light of this?

I don't get it.

#5 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

Feels like a witch hunt... I would like to know why they do not simple add in the proper citation of works.. Perhaps I am over simplifying the case but I am upset that we are loosing (to the public) another fine resource. And for those who have them these works become a poison pill in that one may not quote them because of their taint.

:wacko:

-Dan

PS: I know that Barclay DSB is not an academic resource but thank God for that since most of his references were not attributed, indeed he said he often did not even remember his source.

• Mark Allison and Ιακοβ like this

#6 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

So there is a short window of time in which it can still be purchased.   Is this one people would recommend? I imagine a replacement edition would be years off.

From the academic perspective it is quite frustrating. How can people be expected to follow citations to books if they are no longer available, and furthermore, how can someone cite a book, if you know its now unavailable. The whole thing irritates me, they should just fix these books. I know the author would have been more than happy to rectify the problems.

Edited by Ιακοβ, 07 November 2016 - 02:43 PM.

• Mark Allison likes this

#7 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:03 PM

Dan's comment about witch hunt relates to this thread i guess.

https://www.accordan...t-commentaries/

;o(

Glad ive got it and not in a position of needing to reference my sources.
  • Daniel Francis likes this
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#8 PhilT

PhilT

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Last I heard was it was being revised and due to be reissued under O'Brien and the reviser.  I heard about this possible revision a few years ago.

#9 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi phil, The wording refers to emerging concerns over the use of secondary sources:

November 4, 2016

In the summer of 2016 Zondervan Academic became aware of emerging concerns that one of its authors, Dr. Peter T. O’Brien, may not have followed commonly accepted standards for the use and documentation of secondary resources in Bible commentaries he had written. Consequently, we began a careful review of Dr. O’Brien’s commentary on Colossians and Philemon, volume 44 in the Word Biblical Commentary (WBC).

It is with sadness and regret that we have concluded this volume does not follow commonly accepted standards for the use and documentation of secondary resources. Dr. O’Brien is revered by his colleagues in the academy and by his former students. His commentaries, including volume 44 in the WBC, have been used with great benefit by the thousands who have purchased them. While we have no reason to believe that Dr. O’Brien intentionally misused secondary resources, our commitment to high publishing standards leaves us no choice but to put volume 44 of the WBC out of print in both its print and digital formats and to destroy the remaining inventory.

Edited by ukfraser, 07 November 2016 - 03:20 PM.

• PhilT likes this
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#10 Julie Palmer

Julie Palmer

Gold

• Accordance
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Canoeing, Geocaching

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

So there is a short window of time in which it can still be purchased.   Is this one people would recommend? I imagine a replacement edition would be years off.

From the academic perspective it is quite frustrating. How can people be expected to follow citations to books if they are no longer available, and furthermore, how can someone cite a book, if you know its now unavailable. The whole thing irritates me, they should just fix these books. I know the author would have been more than happy to rectify the problems.

The individual volume is no longer available. We will rework our current bundles to exclude that volume as soon as we can get them restructured.

#11 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I assume its only a matter of time until his UBS Commentary volume is rescinded and removed as well. 

While I respect the rights of companies such as Zondervan to manage their content according to the legislation afforded them under law, I can't help but wonder if we will ever see a time that legislation will be changed such that, information—once it "escapes"—can't be rescinded in such a way that it appears to the next generation that it never existed.  At least with print books, they can live on into the next generation.

Perhaps we will get to the point one day, open source/collaboration mediums will surpass the need for printed/controlled published volumes?

Edited by Ιακοβ, 07 November 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#12 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

It would be interesting to know how much of the text is actually affected.

in an ideal digital world, the identified text would be redacted or correctly assigned and the etext updated.

One day we may get the technology. Until then, stockists and publishers will have to jump And we, the paying public will have to suffer the inconvenience.

;o)
  • Ιακοβ likes this
Fraser Sims

#13 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

Julie for those of use owning the set is there anyway to get the individual volume so that when the upgrade comes we do not need to keep collection X.2 as well as the current X.2.1?

-Dan

#14 Julie Palmer

Julie Palmer

Gold

• Accordance
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Canoeing, Geocaching

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Julie for those of use owning the set is there anyway to get the individual volume so that when the upgrade comes we do not need to keep collection X.2 as well as the current X.2.1?

-Dan

I hope so. We have done that with other series that had this issue, and I am fairly certain that is how we will set this one up as well. However, I'm not sure what the Publisher stipulations will be.

#15 Michael J. Bolesta

Michael J. Bolesta

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Interests:scripture study, preaching, teaching

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

The individual volume is no longer available. We will rework our current bundles to exclude that volume as soon as we can get them restructured.

It would be desirable let those who purchased the series to retain the individual volume separate from the reworked bundle.

Michael
Accordance on Macintosh, iPhone, and iPad

#16 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

-Dan

For what its worth, if the individual books, where grouped in to a module, only in a sense that they are in a folder, then users would be free to delete what they don't want.

I don't know about how others use accordance, but having books not all "joined together" in one scrollable window would be a huge plus. For example, when I search for "Heb 2:14" while reading the Hebrews WBC module, I don't want to find myself having been thrown into a commentary on Ephesians. 

Edited by Ιακοβ, 07 November 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#17 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:17 PM

It would be interesting to know how much of the text is actually affected.

in an ideal digital world, the identified text would be redacted or correctly assigned and the etext updated.

One day we may get the technology. Until then, stockists and publishers will have to jump And we, the paying public will have to suffer the inconvenience.

;o)

To be honest. In my opinion >90% is always copy from the past and in <10% is "new" content. Read Keil Delitzsch or Theodor Zahn or Schlatter and then a newer one to compare.  Often the newer has a less high standard. But the cover looks nicer and a little part is on the last research results. 

Except for example the research on the DSS which was not available in their time.

Like an Accordance staff member wrote or talked in a podcast. He had a friend with 90 books about Revelation. But he wasn't impressed, because these 90 say all the same stuff. In other words all copied from the same Q(uelle or source). 

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian, 07 November 2016 - 06:22 PM.

• Mark Allison likes this

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Next time: I'll buy only one with SuperRetina OLED, and hopefully without a glossy screen. A faster CPU and more RAM.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Accordance 12.1.5 and waiting on 13 (on iPad Pro with 3D touch)

iPhone X 256GB

iOS 11.1.1

Accordance Mobile 2.5.6.8946

#18 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

Like an Accordance staff member wrote or talked in a podcast. He had a friend with 90 books about Revelation. But he wasn't impressed, because they 90 say all the same stuff. In other words all copied from the same Q(uelle or source). 

Well this is really my point. If there was an open online collaboration of ideas that were peer reviewed, then this online resource would be superior to all 90 of them. (Assuming the material was contributed and distributed without restriction) 

You could assumedly then just export this material in the WBC structure, or the NICOT structure, or so on, if that is what someone prefers, although you might have to use a different shade of green and black on the cover to avoid copyright problems  :D

Edited by Ιακοβ, 07 November 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#19 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

When i look in my reference library, my original 1986 2 corithians is listed as a separate volume and the 2014 revised edition is in the nt 26 vol set.

Im not sure how the erdmans set was handled when the corresponding volumes were removed but like dan said, it would be great if the volume was still available as a stand alone in our library. just need to remember its there, but certainly better for storage and not having to switch sets.

;o)
Fraser Sims

#20 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:17 AM

So why haven't the Word Study Dictionaries been withdrawn?

Wasn't there some controversy regarding plagiarism with the OT volume?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users