Genealogy Module?

csonni

If you go back through this thread you will see several answers. And I am sure Dr. J will feature it in a podcast one of these days.

This module makes a lot of references to traditions, Hebrew traditions or church traditions, but very few of these seem to be properly documented.

I would like to see a proper bibliography added to a future update.

For example, the sections on "House of the Maccabees (the Hasmonean Dynasty)" and "Kings of the Seleucids, Ptolemies, and Maccabees During the Inter-testament Period" contain no references to any sources.

This is especially important considering the current controversies concerning certain modules that have been withdrawn regarding inconsistencies in documenting secondary sources.

(With apologies for the alliteration in that last sentence)

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 2

I imagine that Nancy Dawson felt she had to draw the line somewhere as she produced this massive work solo. It may never have been completed if she had to cite a source for every comment, but this does leave her plenty of room to return and enhance the module should she wish to do so.

• Like 1

I imagine that Nancy Dawson felt she had to draw the line somewhere as she produced this massive work solo. It may never have been completed if she had to cite a source for every comment, but this does leave her plenty of room to return and enhance the module should she wish to do so.

In Accordance we have the benefit to get updates. It would be welcome that the request from Alistair come in existence.

Greetings

Fabian

• 2 weeks later...

Users of the genealogy module may want to consider using it in parallel with a User Tool created by Jonathan Huber, John Piper's Chronology of the New Testament. While it does not deal specifically with genealogies, its chronological information may be helpful to someone doing genealogical studies in the NT.

The link is on this page, it's about half way down.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/tools.htm

• 2 years later...

I was just revisiting this thread and wanted to point out that in almost three years we haven't had an update to this module from the author or any improvement with the interaction. :(

• Like 1

We have updates from Nancy that we're in the process of implementing. 

• Like 2

Hi Mark, I know you did a lot of extra work on this module in response to my complaints enthusiastic feedback.

Will we finally see the end of Tamer and the restoration of Tamar to her rightful inheritance?

• Like 1

Will we finally see the end of Tamer and the restoration of Tamar to her rightful inheritance?

Lol. Tamer will be no more.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was wondering if there's any other modules on genealogy (or any other Graphics titles with such illustrations) apart from this that can be installed in Accordance for iOS...? I understand that this module cannot be installed on Mobile...?

If you do a Research search for Image captions for family, genealogy, or dynasty, you'll find a variety of tools in your library that have pictures with genealogical information. The New Bible Dictionary and ESV Study Bible in particular have quite a few genealogies.

Edit: to clarify in response to Mark's post below, the NBD and ESB have images with genealogies, not just text descriptions.

Edited by JonathanHuber

Many users forget that a TOPIC search is available in Accordance. Best of all, you already own it :-)

• Like 2

Mark, is there a comprehensive list of all topic words? If not, we could create a tool that has them listed alphabetically, hyperlinked to run a topic search in a default Bible. We could call it "The Accordance Index to the Bible."

If you go to Search—>Enter Topics, a list of all the available topics is displayed. That feature is currently only available on Mac and Windows versions.

• Like 1

If you go to Search—>Enter Topics, a list of all the available topics is displayed. 

I knew that could be done, but a full list might be useful.

• Like 1

I knew that could be done, but a full list might be useful.

We can definitely do that!