Complete Word Study Dictionaries : OT and NT

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with these and might be able to offer some answers to the questions I have.

1. Given that one has BDAG and HALOT and other such original lang. lexica is there much of additional value in these ?

2. In the NT volume I note that synonyms and antonyms are included as are etymologies. This would be something I don't have elsewhere which I might find useful. It appears the OT volume does not have anything similar. Can anyone confirm or correct this impression ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi ya,

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with these and might be able to offer some answers to the questions I have.

1. Given that one has BDAG and HALOT and other such original lang. lexica is there much of additional value in these ?

2. In the NT volume I note that synonyms and antonyms are included as are etymologies. This would be something I don't have elsewhere which I might find useful. It appears the OT volume does not have anything similar. Can anyone confirm or correct this impression ?

Thx

D

It has been a while since I have picked up my hard copies of the Complete Word Study Dictionaries as many of my physical books are currently in storage, but from memory I would say.

1. For a proficient greek/hebrew reader who has and knows how to use the tools described then I would probably say no. These are aimed at the lay reader (think something newer than Vines yet older than Mounce). I think Mounce fills in the need here quite adequately and has the advantage of its scholarship being more recent (CWSD were published in the early 90's). I will say though there are gems to be had from CWSD's especially as a way of explaining the language nuances to the lay reader. 

2. Sometimes these pull out gems (i.e. why did the writer use this particular word here rather than that similar word used there?). 

I would add the CWSD to my library if they came up on special or were included in a bundle/collection that had other tools I wanted. This is mainly beaucse I have the tools you have mentioned plus the NIDNTTE and NIDOTTE

• Like 2

Thanx Michael - this is rather what I thought.

Thx

D