Possible small pointing error in Hebrew text of Esther 5.13

Lyndon Drake

Hi,

I noticed what looks like a very minor pointing error in Esther 5.13, which might just be because it's technically impossible to reproduce BHS with the Accordance Hebrew font. In print BHS, the holem between the shin and waw of שוה (shin waw he) is to the right of where a holem-waw dot would be. In Accordance, it is to me at least indistinguishable from a holem-waw, leaving the impossible situation of two vowel points for the same waw. I've checked Leningradensus and the print BHS correctly reproduces it—in fact the facsimile is clearer that the holem is midway between the shin and waw, I guess, in order to distinguish it from a sin dot.

I wonder if someone else could have a look at it and see if they agree?

Cheers,
Lyndon

It's not really an issue.

The Leningrad codex often has the holem dot just to the right of the waw even in cases when it is in fact a holem-waw vowel. And in the word in question in Esth 5.13, the holem is in the exact same place. The implication is, of course, that the Masoretes expected the reader to recognize when the holem goes with the waw to form a holem-waw and when the holem is to be read with the preceding consonant.

The fact that the BHS has it slightly to the right in Esth 5.13 but in other cases has it directly over the waw is itself an interpretive change meant to clarify when the holem is part of the holem-waw and when it is not. The HMT (and BHS) digital texts in Accordance are consistent, like the L but unlike print BHS, since they both place the holem directly above the waw, in both contexts.

• 5 weeks later...

Prof. Holmstedt, Are you using the Accordance Leningrad codex images, or a printed facsimile of Leningrad?

I can’t say what Rogert is using - probably a real book, but who knows.

Here however is the section from Esther 5:13 in our images.

post-29509-0-80351700-1481593836_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson

Actually, my hard copy is at my office at the univ., so I was reading a scanned PDF I found years ago. I really prefer the bound facsimile, though. It's very clear.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt