How do I do this? MT-LXX? Some other way?

Julia Falling

During a sermon on Rom 8:1-4, I noticed that where the NAS95 translated περὶ ἁμαρτίας "as an offering for sin," the NKJV translates it as on "account of sin" (Rom 8:3).  And that is where the rabbit trail began.  I wondered if the words added in the NAS95 were warranted.  So I first went to BDAG @ περὶ – that gave me a couple of OT refs.  Then I did a search for περὶ ἁμαρτίας in the LXX.  Got a bunch of hits, and 62/64 of them were rendered "sin offering" in the LXX (Brenton) and the NAS95.  Interesting!  The NAS95 was not taking liberties with the text – at least I don't think so.  I think their translation was the result of some very careful scholarship.

Our pastor asked if περὶ ἁμαρτίας always translated the same Hebrew phrase/word.  And here's where I need help!

I searched the MT-LXX, Greek, for περὶ ἁμαρτίας, then "looked across the aisle" to find the Hebrew – לְחַטָּ֑את.

What I want to know is how often the Gk περὶ ἁμαρτίας translates the Hebrew לְחַטָּ֑את.  How do I do that?  I did a merge and did not get a clear result – I want exact matches (blue underline).

I've got some stuff to do and will be back later.  This not an emergency.

Thanks ahead of time for the help that I know will come from you wonderful folks!

post-330-0-40437300-1479150188_thumb.jpg

EDIT:  I changed the shot to one that includes the number of hits.

Edited by Julia Falling

Julie, I think you are missing the critical MT-LXX step of 'scope'!  You need to search within every paragraph rather than every article.  In MT-LXX verbiage, this is to compare word to word instead of words within a verse.  Toggle this with the button on the right side of the Entry Box that looks like a series of lines.

Thanks, Joel –

Is it correct that the toggle goes from this

post-330-0-76497600-1479147733_thumb.jpg

to this?

post-330-0-05477600-1479147801_thumb.jpg

If I rerun the search, I get this.

post-330-0-20207800-1479148165_thumb.jpg

I'm at 142 hits, down from 198.  But I still have a bunch of superfluous stuff.  I'm obviously still doing something incorrectly.

EDIT:  I modified my HMT search to make it more exact – ל <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words>  חטאת

– and I'm down to 136 hits in the MT-LXX search.

Edited by Julia Falling

Ok, sorry, have a bit more time now - ETS/SBL starts tomorrow!

I recreated your search, and it seems to be working fine for me.  I entered the greek fairly simply into the first field.  To avoid the issue of the '/' in the Hebrew, I merged it in from a Hebrew bible search tab, but you can work around it by representing the slash with a '*' character.  Finally, I set the scope to be Paragraphs and the Tool display to "Add Titles" so I can peruse the results.  You could also do just 'Articles' as your results.

This seems to give the accurate results for when περὶ αμαρτιας becomes ל/חטאת.

See attached workspace:

MTLXX Example.accord.zip

Thank you so much, Joel.  Your search eliminated almost all the extraneous stuff.

I don't know how I forgot about SBL/ETS!  My Hebrew prof and Steve's Greek prof are both going to SBL and will be gone on Thursday.

I hope SBL/ETS will be a huge success.  I've told my Hebrew prof about Accordance and suggested that he check it out at your booth.  He already has a masters degree in something (Semitic languages?) and I think he's working on another degree, but I don't know for sure.  And he doesn't own Bible software.  Shocking!

The school and seminary have been extraordinarily gracious in letting us audit.  But I would never want to take anything but languages there.  Nice people.  Strange theology.

• Like 1