#1 mstalker

mstalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:iOS

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

The Kohlenberger/Mounce Hebrew dictionary sometimes pulls up the wrong definitions. Here are some examples:

• Genesis 1:11 - עַל - Accordance defines this as "upon, over above." KM defines this as "Most High."
  • Genesis 1:22 - וַיְבָרֶךְ - Accordance defines this as "to bless." KM defines this as "to kneel down" or "to make kneel."
  • Genesis 1:22 - וּרְבוּ - Accordance: "to be many, great." KM: "Greater Sidon"
  • Genesis 1:26 and 1:28 - בִדְגַת - Accordance "fish" (noun). KM: "to increase, multiply."

This also happens here:

• Genesis 2:3 - וַיְקַדֵּשׁ
  • Genesis 2:5 - שִׂיחַ
  • Genesis 2:7 - בְּאַפָּיו and חַיָּה
  • Genesis 2:9 and 2:17 - טוֹב
  • Genesis 2:18 - עֵזֶר - KM mentions "help," but seems to mention it as a cross reference. The main definition seems to be "Ezer."
  • Genesis 23:12 -  וַיִּשְׁתַּ֙חוּ֙
I'm using Accordance version 2.4.3 for iOS.

Edited by mstalker, 19 November 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#2 Solly

Solly

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

I see what you mean, though I find that the NIV11-GKE and NIV11-GK texts give the expected behavior. All other tagged texts that I have give results as you described, though the KM entry expected is usually adjacent to the one opened by the triple click. Very interesting. My experiments were done with Accordance Ver. 12.0.1.

Shalom,

Joseph

Joseph F Sollenberger Jr

#3 Chris Rockwell

Chris Rockwell

Gold

• Accordance
  • 271 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

The Kohlenberger/Mounce Hebrew dictionary sometimes pulls up the wrong definitions. Here are some examples:

• Genesis 1:11 - עַל - Accordance defines this as "upon, over above." KM defines this as "Most High."
  • Genesis 1:22 - וַיְבָרֶךְ - Accordance defines this as "to bless." KM defines this as "to kneel down" or "to make kneel."
  • Genesis 1:26 and 1:28 - בִדְגַת - Accordance "fish" (noun). KM: "to increase, multiply."

This also happens here:

• Genesis 2:18 - עֵזֶר - KM mentions "help," but seems to mention it as a cross reference. The main definition seems to be "Ezer."

Hey,

You could try Amplifying using the ID and you'll see several definitions or consider using a different Hebrew lexicon (like HALOT, BDB Complete, or DCH). This is not a bug though, the words you're applying have a lot of different definitions and the Hebrew tool you're using doesn't include verse references for an accurate amplify. Hope this helps.

Chris

iOS Developer
OakTree Software

#4 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 619 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:26 AM

This also happens here:

I'd like to track down these issues. Could you let me know what base text you were using when you amplified to KM Hebrew?

Thanks!

#5 mstalker

mstalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 07:03 PM

Could you let me know what base text you were using when you amplified to KM Hebrew?

I think I was using the HMT-W4.

#6 mstalker

mstalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 07:12 PM

This is not a bug though, the words you're applying have a lot of different definitions and the Hebrew tool you're using doesn't include verse references for an accurate amplify. 

Thanks for your reply, Chris! From a software developer's perspective, I think I agree that it's not a bug, and that the app is functioning as designed. I'm assuming that the intended behavior is to find the first matching word in the KM lexicon, and display it.

From the user's perspective, though, the app does not do what is expected. When I see a definition for a word, my assumption is that it's a correct definition. If I told my daughter to wind up the clock, and she asked me what "wind" means, it would be incorrect to tell her that it means, "movement of air that you can feel." Without a context, that's a correct definition of "wind." However, in context, it's a wrong definition. If the KM doesn't have the capability of giving the developer (or user) a correct definition every time, I'd suggest doing one of the following:

• display all definitions, and allow the user to scroll through them
  • refrain from displaying any definitions, show the user a message detailing why, and provide instructions for amplifying to display all possible definitions.

I suppose I'd say that it's a UX bug, rather than an algorithmic one.

What are your thoughts?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kohlenberger, Mounce, dictionary, tagging, Hebrew, Biblia Hebraica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users