ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

I jumped before, managed to get top spec 15" cheaper than the cheaper 15". I decided i wanted to continue using usb 2 and 3 and external monitor without the need to get more new adapters was more important than getting the latest chip set. I tend to get the previous model just before or near the new model as i get a deal.

Glad i did seeing all the price jumps for the new range.

;o)

Still running the old 2009 model though. Its on its third battery but still works.

Edited by ukfraser, 21 November 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#22 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:47 PM

Forget the sound stuff.  But DO tell us about your new MacBook Pro.  I am thinking that will be my next machine – in 18 months or so.

I've been using my new MacBook Pro for demos at SBL. I'm primarily using it to run Windows demos of Accordance (via Parallels), but Mac Accordance demos, too. 

So this morning, I set up both the Mac environment and the Windows (Parallels) environment with both platforms running Accordance, the Accordance webpage, MS Word and Nota Bene. So that's two operating systems running at the same time with duplicate applications running in both. Out of curiosity, I checked the Activity Monitor to see how big of a drain I was putting on my MacBook Pro. The answer? Only 8% was being used and 92% of the system was free. That's not too bad if you ask me!

• Mark Allison, Julia Falling and Solly like this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS High Sierra

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS Mojave

Windows

2018 10" Microsoft Surface Go - 1.6 Ghz Pentium Gold, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

+ Parallels install of Windows 10 Pro on the above MacBook Pro

iOS

2018 iPhone XS Max - 256 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 12.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9”) - 256 GB, T-Mobile, iOS 12.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 8.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#23 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:24 AM

I am intrigued by the new MBP with touchbar, but what I really want is at least 2TB HDD storage. With SSD it get very expensive very quickly.

#24 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

I am intrigued by the new MBP with touchbar, but what I really want is at least 2TB HDD storage. With SSD it get very expensive very quickly.

Yeah – the SSD storage gets really expensive really quickly.  But consider an alternative.  Rick told me he moved his iTunes folder to an external drive.  I have followed his example and find that the 512 SSD on the MBA is now more than enough.  It's video and pictures that take up the most room.  My husband is the main photographer around here, but I do have a lot of video.

The external drive Rick was using (still using?) was a WD My Passport, right, Rick?  I got one of those at his recommendation.  Lots of room.  Very quiet.  Lightweight.  Relatively cheap.  Works like a charm and small enough to travel when necessary.

I have not found that having the bulky data on an external platter drive slows down iTunes at all.  And instead of looking at $400 to go to just 1TB, you're looking at $127 (Amazon) to go to 4TB external.  That is something I can afford to do.  

If I'm going to spend more on my laptop, I'd go for a faster processor and more memory.  I'm content to keep some data externally.

Rick, if I got any of this info scrambled (not an unprecedented occurrence), please correct.  Did you get a 13" or 15" laptop?

Edited by Julia Falling, 22 November 2016 - 09:51 AM.

Julia Falling

13" MacBook Pro Mojave Acc 12
mid-2017 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
16 GB RAM; 512 GB SSD

iPad Pro iOS 12
128 GB
iAccord 2.7

iPhone 8 iOS 12
64 GB
iAccord 2.7

Used for backup only:
Mac mini Mojave Acc 12
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

#25 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

Or consider something like network storage like a synology wher its plugged into your router and available on all devices. Can add hard drives, act as time machine, backed up onto passports, even set up as nas if you are that worried.

;o)
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#26 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:16 PM

I have https://www.scan.co....ite-for-apple-m. There is also a competitor.

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

#27 kpang808

kpang808

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Twitter:kpang808
  • Interests:Jesus, my wife, my dog, ministry, making music

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

External hard drives are perfect! I do well with 256 GB on the SSD. It's never been an issue. A lot of the things we tend to keep on the drive could either be moved to external hard drives or a cloud format. Maybe even deleted in rare cases

Shalom! In Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808 

#28 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:45 AM

Yeah – the SSD storage gets really expensive really quickly.  But consider an alternative.  Rick told me he moved his iTunes folder to an external drive.  I have followed his example and find that the 512 SSD on the MBA is now more than enough.  It's video and pictures that take up the most room.  My husband is the main photographer around here, but I do have a lot of video.

The external drive Rick was using (still using?) was a WD My Passport, right, Rick?  I got one of those at his recommendation.  Lots of room.  Very quiet.  Lightweight.  Relatively cheap.  Works like a charm and small enough to travel when necessary.

I have not found that having the bulky data on an external platter drive slows down iTunes at all.  And instead of looking at $400 to go to just 1TB, you're looking at $127 (Amazon) to go to 4TB external.  That is something I can afford to do.  

If I'm going to spend more on my laptop, I'd go for a faster processor and more memory.  I'm content to keep some data externally.

Rick, if I got any of this info scrambled (not an unprecedented occurrence), please correct.  Did you get a 13" or 15" laptop?

When I bought my 12" retina MacBook last year, I couldn't get an SSD in it larger than 512 GB. I had already been using an external drive for my iTunes library, but I moved my Photos library as well as a Parallels Windows image to the external drive, too. I have used a number of WD My Passport drives in the past, but I am currently using the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB Portable External Hard Drive, which I purchased in February.

My new MBP has a 2 TB drive, so I moved the Photos library and Parallels Windows image back to the internal drive. It's really nice to have them back there because everything runs much quicker. iTunes media runs fine from an external drive, though. Since my iTunes drive is currently approaching 3 TB (lots of video content), I don't anticipate ever being able to move it back. Yes, I realize that most of that content is downloadable on demand, but I like having copies of everything downloaded and ready to go. 

I got the 15" MBP, Julia. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS High Sierra

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS Mojave

Windows

2018 10" Microsoft Surface Go - 1.6 Ghz Pentium Gold, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

iOS

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

#29 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

I have https://www.scan.co....ite-for-apple-m. There is also a competitor.

Well, that one definitely won't work in the new MacBook Pros!

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

macOS

Windows

iOS

Android 

#30 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

When I bought my 12" retina MacBook last year, I couldn't get an SSD in it larger than 512 GB. I had already been using an external drive for my iTunes library, but I moved my Photos library as well as a Parallels Windows image to the external drive, too. I have used a number of WD My Passport drives in the past, but I am currently using the Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB Portable External Hard Drive, which I purchased in February.

My new MBP has a 2 TB drive, so I moved the Photos library and Parallels Windows image back to the internal drive. It's really nice to have them back there because everything runs much quicker. iTunes media runs fine from an external drive, though. Since my iTunes drive is currently approaching 3 TB (lots of video content), I don't anticipate ever being able to move it back. Yes, I realize that most of that content is downloadable on demand, but I like having copies of everything downloaded and ready to go. 

I got the 15" MBP, Julia. 

Nice MBP.  With all that you do, you probably need all that power.  Does the Touch Bar have any particular functionality in Accordance?  Are you finding the Touch Bar generally useful?  It certainly is cool-looking.  Haven't seen one yet, except on the web.

I can get by with less.  And I've learned to love my 13" Air.  I'll probably go Pro next time, however.  We tend to hold onto our laptops for about 5 years.  It's important that we not feel like we can go make a sandwich while we're waiting for the computer to finish a task.  So we max out processor and memory.

• R. Mansfield likes this

Julia Falling

16 GB RAM; 512 GB SSD

iPad Pro iOS 12
128 GB
iAccord 2.7

iPhone 8 iOS 12
64 GB
iAccord 2.7

Used for backup only:
Mac mini Mojave Acc 12

#31 kpang808

kpang808

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Touch bar is awesome! I'd say try it out at an Apple Store if you are near one. I thought it was a gimmick but I'm seeing over and over again the helpfulness and potential when 3rd parties make use of it too. Again I have a 256 GB SSD and that's enough for me. I don't do anything that requires a whole lot of space and I end up moving things externally if I need to.

#32 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

Keith – I operate that way, too.  And I only run the Mac OS.  If I were running Sierra, Parallels, and Windows, both versions of Accordance, and had a lot of other stuff that actually needed to be on the laptop itself, that would be another story.  Not everyone has the same needs.  

Our son has a masters in computer science.  He says having only 16 GB of RAM is just not enough.  He prefers Mac laptops, but is one of a very small percentage of Mac users who actually need 32 GB.  Perhaps that should to be a special order option, but it creates other problems – like heat and less time operating on just battery.  The existing architecture might not be adequate.

By the way, how long are you able to operate on just battery?  That has been one place where the Air really shines.  

EDIT:  I just went Mithril.  I guess that means I'm spending too much time on the forums.  Better go check the turkey!

Edited by Julia Falling, 24 November 2016 - 04:29 PM.

• Mark Allison and Daniel Francis like this

Julia Falling

16 GB RAM; 512 GB SSD

iPad Pro iOS 12
128 GB
iAccord 2.7

iPhone 8 iOS 12
64 GB
iAccord 2.7

Used for backup only:
Mac mini Mojave Acc 12

#33 kpang808

kpang808

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

The battery has lasted for me about 10-12 hours. So really good! The new MacBooks only go up to 16 GB RAM because of what you mentioned with heat and battery in the current frame they have. I too only run off of the Mac OS
  • Julia Falling likes this

#34 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,023 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

EDIT:  I just went Mithril.  I guess that means I'm spending too much time on the forums.  Better go check the turkey!

I work for Accordance and still haven't reached Mithril. Good job Julia :-)

• Julia Falling and Tony Lawrence like this

#35 HansK

HansK

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Bible History & Interpretation, Legal metaphors, Nespresso

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

I personally don't want the sound. 

If you are using Mac, with Keyboard Maestro, it is very easy to add any music or sound when Accordance launches. (see screenshot below).

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2016-11-21 13.15.22.png

Thanks Martin! Accordance is now starting here with a nice sound :-)

To all who replied also: thanks. I was triggered by the nice post of Rick and his wallpaper. I thought I should try again and raise my voice to add some sound :-)

#36 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

Nice MBP.  With all that you do, you probably need all that power.  Does the Touch Bar have any particular functionality in Accordance?  Are you finding the Touch Bar generally useful?  

No use for Accordance yet. With Accordance, you get the basic control strip.

I don't truly know yet how useful the Touch Bar will be. It's more useful with photo and video apps, but less so than others. Of course, a developer can't make an app truly dependent on it because there will continue to be Macs without a Touch Bar. 

It's important that we not feel like we can go make a sandwich while we're waiting for the computer to finish a task.  

Which is why you use Accordance instead of the competition. Of course, the downside is fewer sandwiches. 

• Julia Falling and Ιακοβ like this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

macOS

Windows

iOS

Android 

#37 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

Our son has a masters in computer science.  He says having only 16 GB of RAM is just not enough.  He prefers Mac laptops, but is one of a very small percentage of Mac users who actually need 32 GB.  Perhaps that should to be a special order option, but it creates other problems – like heat and less time operating on just battery.  The existing architecture might not be adequate.

Ultimately, I agree. I would have very much liked to have had 32 GB of RAM. I probably don't need it now, but if I wanted to keep this MBP for five years, I would probably need it by then. Of course, if a person can wait, I have no doubt that in 2017 Apple will release new MBPs in the same form factor with Kaby Lake processors and 32 GB of RAM. I'd recommend waiting until next year if at all possible. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

macOS

Windows

iOS

Android 

#38 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:17 AM

I don't truly know yet how useful the Touch Bar will be. It's more useful with photo and video apps, but less so than others. Of course, a developer can't make an app truly dependent on it because there will continue to be Macs without a Touch Bar. 

I suspect we we eventually see a Mac Pro Keyboard with Touch Bar for the desktop Macs.

• Julia Falling likes this

#39 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

I suspect we we eventually see a Mac Pro Keyboard with Touch Bar for the desktop Macs.

Another nice feature of the Touch Bar that I failed to mention is TouchID. If there's one killer feature of the TouchBar, it's this. TouchID works for login, passwords, purchases, etc. Not everything is fully in place yet, but this is where it's going. 

• Mark Allison and Julia Falling like this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

macOS

Windows

iOS

Android 

#40 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

Another nice feature of the Touch Bar that I failed to mention is TouchID. If there's one killer feature of the TouchBar, it's this. TouchID works for login, passwords, purchases, etc. Not everything is fully in place yet, but this is where it's going. 

Aha, O.K I believe I know where you want to go. You mean it's easier to buy the good stuff for our beloved Accordance. 

Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users