Allow tools to open in secondary pane in iOS

gbjohnston

First off, thanks for the incredible work on Accordance 12 and new modules. Stacks and Papers have already started boosting my productivity on exegesis papers and sermon prep.

I prefer to read my Accordance texts on my iPad, because it is much closer to the experience of reading a book. I can do two great things on the iPad:

1) Open two texts that do not scroll together in separate panes. This is a great feature--I used it the other day in class while comparing Matthew's Sermon on the Mount and Luke's Sermon on the Plain, and didn't have to flip back and forth in a paper Bible between them. But this is the only time I've really used this.

2) With the new split-screen feature on the iPad, I can read a PDF in Greek/Hebrew/Latin in Dropbox, and have a lexicon open in split screen on the other side. Massive time saver.

But I can't...

3) Read an Accordance text with an Accordance lexicon open in a second pane. For example, right now I'm reading through Zechariah. About every 30 seconds, I i) find a root I don't know ii) click on the "Library" icon iii) click on BDB iv) look up the root v) click on the "Library" icon vi) click on my BHS and finally vii) start reading again. If I had the lexicon open in a second pane this would just be i) find a root I don't know ii) look up the root in my BDB pane iii) continue reading.

The upshot is that it's currently easier for me to read a Hebrew PDF in Dropbox than it is to read a Hebrew text in Accordance, because I can have both apps open in a split-screen.

(Instant details are not a good way for me to solve this problem--as a student, I need the discipline of identifying roots and searching for them in a lexicon.)

I hope you consider this for a future iOS update.

• Like 2

Honestly hopefully the Library from 12 comes to Accordance Mobile, with the Info Pane.

Hi gb, If you look at the requested features, this is the one thing that frustrates me most on ios which is otherwise a truely brilliant app especially now with the interlinear ( lack of freedom in choice of resources in either pane is really daft as ebc has the notes in a separate module from the commentary).

However, if you set bdb at the top of your hebrew texts, when you click on a word you get instant details and if you then click amplify and select lexime or root you get bdb to open and click the arrow at the top and you go back to the text.

(Sorry, just re-read your original text again, and you are not using instant details ;o( but others may not know about it, but hopefully as others request greater flexibility on the use of the 2 panes we have, we will get it sooner!!!!!! So thanks)

Here's hoping.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

(Sorry, just re-read your original text again, and you are not using instant details ;o( but others may not know about it, but hopefully as others request greater flexibility on the use of the 2 panes we have, we will get it sooner!!!!!! So thanks)

Exactly. Accordance just makes it too easy! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It would be cool if we can use on an iPad the two panes with different Bibles like it is now on the left side and a 3. pane for the Notes or Tools wich is the right half of the Screen. So the Bibles are 1/4 and 1/4 and the notes to write in the sermon on the 1/2 of the right side. Like it is possible if we add Word or Pages.

Hi Fabian.

I have never got on with accordance notes (either ios or full fat, which is why the new stacks in the full fat version is a game changer for me).

I've always used ios notes or ios pages to copy and paste into so i prefer doing what you describe and having pages or notes open in the 'third' window. Makes my previous workflow much easier on the ipad, though i may start using my mbp more now i have stacks. Time will tell, still prefer the convenience of an iPad but as tony has posted in his biblical geography thread, stack are really really useful and i agree.

Now will we see them on ios?

;o)