Construct Search Question: Word Order for 3+ elements

pedcheung

When I create a construct search with two elements, I know there is a checkbox that allows me to check and search in both directions.

But I have found myself wanting to create a lot of three element searches.  And I want to find all three elements regardless of word order.  Is there a way to do this?

If I'm searching for Elements A, B and C - I want to find all permutations.

A - B - C

A - C - B

B - A - C

B - C - A

C - B - A 

C - A - B

Sometimes I want to find four elements, and it's nearly impossible for me to check for all permutations when I don't care about word order.

Some of the searches I can do in the search bar, changing the scope to sentence.  But I much prefer the Greek and Hebrew construct search - especially when I want to search for syntax tagging.

Thanks for the help.

pedro

Hey Pedro,

I recall having thought similarly myself and really I don't think there is a general setting that allows you to do this. However there are a few alternatives that might serve depending upon what you are doing.

First you can create multiple construct tabs and permute the searches and <OR> them together to search one tab.  [LINK CONS1] <OR> [LINK CONS2] <OR> .... and so on. This is laborious but perhaps the most flexible.

Secondly you can cut down the number of permutations you have to do by making each search both ways.

Thirdly you can try something like this :

post-32023-0-45672800-1479870744_thumb.jpg

And of course as you point out the search tab search box itself can help out :

[NOUN] <AND> [ADJECTIVE] <AND> [ARTICLE]

Might make a nice enhancement to have Accordance fully permute the search space but it's not necessarily dead straightforward, and limits have to be placed on what can be permuted. Nor are all such searches valid or useful of course. Simply permuting at one level might be ok but even there I would expect some issues, particularly if one was permitted to do it any any leave in a syntax search construction.

Thx

D