Two accusatives following a verb?

Ιακοβ

I looked up 1 John 4:10 in the diagramming module as I was a little confused as to how this sentence comes together, it didn't help :D   There appears to be two accusative "phrases" following the verb. 

Perhaps I have seen this before but not realised it, but I don't recall seeing this, what do these two lines in the diagram mean? Is this some grammatical thing I don't remember, or is the sentence just weird?  Thanks!

post-33292-0-51431300-1480027997_thumb.png

Hi Jacob:

The symbol with the double lines after the direct object is the complement symbol. If you open the diagramming tool and hover the cursor over this symbol, you will see that it is labeled "Complement." The direct object symbol followed by the complement symbol is used to depict two accusatives in an object-complement construction. So in this case TON hUION is the object and hILASMON is its complement. So the idea is "he sent his Son (as) a propitiation for our sins." To find out more about this construction, see Wallace's grammar, pp. 182ff.

Edited by Steve Lo Vullo
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, I have Wallace in Accordance so I'll look it up now! 

With regards to hovering the cursor, the first thing I tried was hovering over the lines in the diagram, and all around it, It doesn't seem to work more me. Hovering works when I go over the greek words themselves, but not over any of the lines or symbols.

Edit: I tried to add the link to the page, but it appears the editor won't accept this link: accord://read/Wallace_Greek#3198

Edited by Ιακοβ

Sorry for the confusion, Jacob. When I mentioned hovering over the symbol, I meant in the diagramming tool, which is the tool provided with Accordance to construct your own diagrams. You can select text and click on Amplify-Language-Diagram. In the tab that appears, you will see the text that you chose in the left side of the window, and an explanatory key on the right. In the key you can hover over each symbol to see a description of that symbol at the bottom of the window below the key. There is other info also in the key, like the color coding for the parts of speech. Hope this helps. If you have any questions at all about the diagrams, please feel free to ask.

Steve

• Like 1

Aaah, ok, thanks, that explains it! Learning how to make my own diagrams using that tool is on my list of things to do over the summer!

I actually got something backwards. In the diagramming tool window, the text is on the right and the key is on the left.