Pasting Problems in Word

dwhunter

I am having an issue when copying and pasting passages into MS Word.  I've tried in Scrivener and have no issues there, so I'm guessing it may be an issue with the latest version of Word, but I don't know for sure.

Whenever I copy and paste a passage, the "paste" in Word takes up several pages.  It inserts blank pages between verses, and sometimes even where a footnote notation or cross-reference notation is.  Sometimes when I paste into Word, I get the option to "Match destination formatting" and then I can select that and everything resolves, but I don't always get that option.

And when I copy/paste into this post to try to demonstrate, it pastes just fine with no problem.

Anyone else having this issue?

I've attached a screen shot to demonstrate.

Thanks,

Don Hunter

post-33378-0-12448100-1480432549_thumb.png

You have a backwards p in the tool bar. If you turn that on, it will show invisibles and that will show you what you are pasting which is causing the blank pages. Ive just done a loadof copy and paste and not having any issues. Though it is with the previous version of word, havent upgraded to 16?

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

ukfraser -

I tried reveal formatting; there was nothing but blank space in between.  I'm running Word for Mac, Office version 2016, just had an update last week and no updates available.  I attached a screen shot - you can see that the indents and paragraph breaks show up, but nothing else.  Very strange.  I'm thinking it has to be an issue with Word.  Thanks for your suggestion!

Don

post-33378-0-42320600-1480433684_thumb.png

Youve got something in the top centre of each blank page. Cant see what it is. Try control a and then click the normal format in your tool bar.

Im guessing that it may have a page break or something associated with it.

In windows i typically control a to select everything and control spacebar to remove local formatting but that isnt available on a mac

You can also select those two items and click delete. But it would be nice to know what it is that word is interpreting as either a page break or a return with large leading.

;o(

Edited by ukfraser

What's showing up in the top center of the blank pages are the letters for the translation notes.  I tried Command - A but I'm not finding anything unusual in the Format options as far as page breaks - Section Start is set to continuous and not Page Break, but that seems to make no difference.  Tried changing those settings, exiting and re-starting Word, but it made no difference.  Gotta love Office!  :)

Its clearly the translation notes that word is interpreting as a page break. Gloom, what style are they?

;o(

I can see its ps 78:6, what translation? Will see what i get.

Edited by ukfraser

NIV 11, GKE

I've tried pasting from other sources into Word and I'm not encountering the same issue

Ok, looking in Style gave me something - I'm not sure what the "p1" is, but when I click on normal, it resolves it back to what it should be.

post-33378-0-93541000-1480435270_thumb.png

Im still on 2011 and no problem with pasting niv with enhanced g/k

Sorry

looks like a word issue with the notes

;o(

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I'm having issues pasting into Word as well.  I have Accordance set to scale text to 18pt, but when you paste to Word it imports it as 13.5pt.  I set the scale to 24pt and then it will import it as 18pt.  

Hmmm.  When I "Select All" and try to apply "Normal" as a style, it won't work.  I have to go to each translation note separately.

Hmmm.  When I "Select All" and try to apply "Normal" as a style, it won't work.  I have to go to each translation note separately.

P1, looks like its created a style on the fly. you should be able to right click it and change the format and keep it as a standard for future pasting 

• Like 1

Ok, thanks!  I will try that

Hi,

I've only had Word 2016 for Mac in Office 365 and El Capitan for a few days now (upgrades from Word 2011 and Snow Leopard), and if I just copy and paste, I see what Don originally described.

So far what is see is I have to right click > Paste Special > Formatted Text (RTF). It automatically sets the paragraph to rtl - if I select any of it and choose ltr it executes line breaks incorrectly. Also, it pastes as font size 36. Is there a setting to paste it to 12 or whatever?

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Under preferences in word, not sure how much has been changed in 2016 version but there are a number of settings for paste to experiment with under edit. The first I would try is switching off the smart styles because it looks like it isnt being very smart!

but just play

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Fraser,

The first thing I always do is turn off auto format, edit, spell check, etc. And I turned off smart style at your suggestion. It's still the same. I don't think it is a Word issue. It pastes from Acc to Mellel and Scrivener as Acc 36 also. 

Regards,

Michel

Edit: Sorry, I was talking about pasting Hebrew. But, I just tried an English Bible, and if I just paste I see what Don described; if I Paste Special > Formatted Text (RTF) it works.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Thanks michel but currently i am not experiencing any issues office 2011 and have no need or desire to upgrade.

;o)

If it aint broke...

Hi Fraser,

I was just responding to Don's, "Is anyone having this issue?" And, responding to your kind suggestions. I'm not trying to get you to upgrade. I had to upgrade for lots of reasons, one being, Hebrew was broke in Word 2011.

Regards,

Michel

Np michel. Im just hearing and reading about issues with the new office (been monitoring a number of forums) and actually still have windows on my mac and office on that as well and it runs better than on a pc.

;o)

I'm having this exact same issue when I paste. This happened at the exact same time I upgraded to Accordance 12. When I paste special without formatting, it's fine. It looks like one of the pieces of text tells word to put a lot of space after it (rending the rest of the text invisible—it's so far off the screen. I'm attaching a picture so you can see). 

Would love an update to fix this problem. 

:)

post-29239-0-06386500-1480881934_thumb.png

post-29239-0-13016900-1480881939_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would love an update with a fix also.  Haven't experienced this issue pasting from any other programs into word - only Accordance 12.

Having just tried this out on the ESVS and Enhanced NIV I get the same problem. However It seems to work OK if you do the following:

Copy as citation

Copy as bibliography

Copy as references

It does not work for standard copy or copy as no superscript. It seems to be something to do with the superscripts. I generally have the references a smaller size than the text and that also causes an issue.

If I copy a selection of text which has no superscripts then the copy works OK. If I have the references the same size as the text then again the issue will not happen (as long as there are no superscripts in the selection I'm copying).