DSSB Variants searching difficulty

theblackbluejay

Hi Everyone, 

This is probably a stupid question.  I am writing a paper on the shape of the text of Amos as attested at Qumran, and I'm having difficulty with the DSSB Variants module.  I can search for variants by mss number with no problem, but for some reason, the module will not let me search via scripture reference, even when I know that such a reference and variant is listed in the module.  (See an example in the attached screenshot).  

I feel like I am just overlooking something rather elementary.  But if anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.  

Thanks!

David

post-32209-0-78296800-1480888272_thumb.png

David, don't worry about the question!  The scripture content of this module is actually split up into 3 different fields: Reference, Scripture, and DSS Reference.

"Reference" refers to the primary reference at the top of each entry, such as the Joel 4:17 you are searching for in your screenshot.  So, this is the field you should be using instead of Scripture.

"Scripture" refers to any secondary references within the body of the text that aren't entries themselves.  For instance, in this entry the "10" and "9" are each hyperlinked to Is 2:10 and 2:9, but since this does not refer to a primary entry, it is in the Scripture field:

Is. 2:10

(1QIsaa) This MS omits v. 10 along with v. 9b

"DSS Reference" refers to the parenthetical reference in the entry, such as 4Q78 f18_20:10 in your screenshot, or 1QIsaa in my quotation.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Joel!  I appreciate it!