Suggestions for Paper GUI

G Springer

First - thanks so much for all the hard work!

After learning more about paper and stacks at ETS/SBL I can see how they can become a very useful tool.

As I mentioned in the booth, what I see as a major improvement would be taking the "Hide Outline Marker," "Add New Item," and "Add New Sub Item" off of the 'line of text' pop up menu (I don't know the correct 'accordance speak' for this - I hope you get what I'm saying) and putting it on the "Paper Tab Format Menu"

I'm trying to think intuitively here...when I work in a text and want to make something a bullet or numbered list in EVERY other word processor I go to a GUI tab and click there. If I want to increase or decrease indents I go to a button that is with all my other formatting (Bold, Italic, Left, right, center justify...) I know of no word processor that would have me go to a popup menu at the end of a line....

I guess part of the learning curve for every user of this new feature is understanding more of why it was designed the way it was...I get that it gives people ways to categorize their thoughts and record them based upon certain categories of ideas (title, summary, content, and notes) and then hide or reveal them based upon desired output or audience...but I'm not sure if I am "trained" on recording my thoughts this way. Adding a sub item or adding a new item is not my way of thinking when I'm writing...outlines,bulleted list, and main content are...

Part of the design of your system should include interaction with users and feedback mechanisms to gauge improvements from them...maybe you already do this and I'm not aware. I'm thankful that you all are open to our feedback (even when the idea is seen as not doable).

With more to say....

Shalom,

Gary