Ken Stockdell

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Learning, reading, travel, black & white photography
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

This is not a topic suggestion or request, but a comment and request about how large the podcast files are. The most recent two episodes are over 1 GB files. For people like me who are on the road and watching the videos on iOS devices, they are so large that they use up a lot of a data plan if I'm not able to stream on WiFi, and if I forget to download them they report taking over an hour to download to the device. I appreciate the fact that you're going for quality with the podcasts, but the point of a podcast is portability. The trade for a little less resolution to get something more convenient to download would be fine with me so I can use airplane time to keep up with Dr. J's very helpful content.

Am I alone in this request?

Ken Stockdell

Ken Stockdell

Thinking Christianly
Let My People Read!

Accordance 12.3.6
MacBook Air: 13-inch, Mid 2012, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, macOS Catalina 10.15.x
iPhone X: 256 GB, iOS 13.1.x
iPad Pro 11": 512 GB, iOS 13.1.x

#2 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Hi ken, you may want to check out the thread on this one as i think what you are experiencing has been discussed before.

https://www.accordan...greek-searches/

The podcasts are in two formats and it depends which way you get to them as to the format. Hope this helps.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser, 11 December 2016 - 06:37 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 3x on iOS 12x on iPad pro and iPhone 8, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hi, Ken!

Thanks for the query!

We did recently upgrade the quality of our podcasts, as Vimeo and YouTube were complaining about when we uploaded to them. That means the file size has increased significantly. Those who watch the podcasts from our website, Vimeo, or YouTube can choose what resolution to use, but (curiously) that option is not available to our iTunes subscribers.

Give us just a bit of time, we're trying to figure out how to make things easier for you and other viewers like you.

Thanks!

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hi, Ken!

OK, we have made a decision here. We will be uploading a smaller, 720p, file to iTunes beginning this next podcast. This format is about 1/10 the size of our current uploads to Vimeo and YouTube. It should be much more suitable for those who view our podcasts on mobile devices. Those who want higher resolution should consider using the feeds from those other podcast channels.

Hope this helps!

• R. Mansfield, Daniel Saunders and Solly like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users