Papers and UI Discoverability

dandennison

Hello,

Just started using Papers, now that I can find it. I ended up having to go to Accordance 12 Help, where it indicated that Papers can be made from the Toolbar or the File menu.

I have no such File / New Paper or similar item.

The toolbar has no such Papers button on it.

What to do? I ended up customizing the toolbar to add the Papers drop-down button, which solved the mystery, at least partially.

Questions remain:

1. Why is File / New Paper or similar missing?
  2. Why does the default toolbar inside of Customize Toolbar... not have the Papers button?
  3. Why did I have to manually create the Papers button on my toolbar?

Normally I wouldn't ask (2) and (3) separately, but I assumed for a while this was a migration issue from 11->12, as it was trying to preserve a possibly (but not) customized toolbar.

<unrelated> While I'm here, my first impression of Papers is that it reminds me of Ecco's outline feature. </unrelated>

Help?

Hi Dan,

1. In 12.0.1. File -> User Files -> New Paper

Just like any other user content.

Not sure why it's not in the toolbar by default but neither are Stacks I don't believe.

Thx

D

I believe that if you already had a custom toolbar, then you would need to add the new items manually...

(I'm pretty sure about this, but someone may well put me right on that).

Hi, Dan.  A couple of things to help clarify:

1) New papers are made just like other user items, from the File -> User Files -> New Paper menu.  This is also an option from the Papers toolbar item, if present on your toolbar.

2) You can add the Papers item to your toolbar by customizing it (Window menu -> Customize Toolbar), but we decided not to include it on the default toolbar, as many of our users won't find a use for it.  However, the Stack was a bit more general, so it is included on the default toolbar.

3) Never heard of Ecco before, so I can assure you there was no inspiration there :)