Importing Hebrew Text

Martin Z

Hello,

I got a Hebrew consonantal text, which I imported into Accordance.

It looks nice, but has a major problem, which results in a couple of consequences:

1. It is regarded as a LTR text. Hence the Reference is placed on the left rather than on the right. (I can get around this by setting the reference above the verse.)

2. The text is also aligned to the left, not to the right.

3. When there are more than 1 line, it starts with the bottom line, rather than from the top line.

All these happen because it is regarded as a LTR text. So my question is: is there anywhere to "tell" Accordance that this is a RTL text? Otherwise, this is a feature request post (that's why I post it here).

Edit: a screenshot attached below.

post-32138-0-84726500-1481832023_thumb.png

Thanks!

Blessings,
Martin

Edited by martinacc

Thanks, Daniel.

I did not know there was a post before (or I might have just forgotten).

I found an Unpointed Hebrew Bible on the User Exchange web. It renders Hebrew much better with multiple lines. Like the one you show in that post.

The RTL problem is still there, though.

I copied the text from the Eloquent which you can add the vovel points and cantillation marks. attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2016-12-16 um 00.44.24.png

Here is my request. https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/13348-user-bibles-import-options/?p=63088

Wow~ You've made many requests. If all can be realized, it will be wonderful.

BibleWorks can also let us choose whether to display vowels and/or cantillation marks. But Accordance is my most used Bible software now, I'd like to have consonantal text in it.

In a course I took this past semester, the professor brought out the consonantal text, and let us randomly pick a verse, he then draw the vowels and cantillation marks over the projected text. That was amazing to me.

He used a HTML text for that. I was thinking, if he could use Accordance, it would be much better. He is also an Accordance user. For now, I think the unpointed Hebrew text on the Exchange web can serve this purpose.  :D

If you have BW, you can export the unpointed text and import that into Accordance.

In Logos, you have an user file (recently published) which also works fine within that program.

It's a shame IMHO that the main Bible Programs do not offer an unpointed text by themselves.

Hans

You can also get it from tanach.us and import it.

Thx

D

I agree that if the company can provide, it would be ideal, because it will come with tags as well.

I have installed the unpointed Hebrew Bible from the Exchange webpage.

But looks like the text margin is wider than the pane margin. Some parts are hidden in the pane margin.

Does any of the imported Hebrew text work better than mine? Or can I do anything to fix it?

post-32138-0-27931500-1481855881_thumb.png

Thanks!

Does any of the imported Hebrew text work better than mine? 

Hi Martin,

Here is what mine looks like on my new Mac:

post-32543-0-79187100-1481857139_thumb.png

Accordance has rtl limitations for user Bibles. I don't know if they will ever address them.

Regards,

Michel

Thanks, Michel.

Looks like the font makes a difference.

I changed to Ezra SIL. It looks much better.  :D

post-32138-0-24168300-1481857519_thumb.png

• Like 1

Accordance has rtl limitations for user Bibles. I don't know if they will ever address them.

Hi,

To clarify, Acc might never support rtl paragraphs in User Bibles, only rtl verses, like in the UHB I posted. I also couldn't get the verse numbers to right align, which I would guess is also related to the rtl issue.

I should point out that Acc is the only one of the big three programs that supports paragraph view of the HB in their copyrighted Hebrew Bibles, which I greatly appreciate. So in effect Acc is somewhat responsible for some of us wanting the same for our own User Hebrew Bibles.

Regards,

Michel