Linux Android Crossover for Accordance?

Fabian

Hello 

I have just read an article about this app. I don't have used it, but maybe it let run Accordance on Linux and the full Accordance on a Android tablet.

I don't need it at the moment. But maybe one of you will test it (Demo: 14 days for free) and share his or her experience.

https://www.codeweavers.com 

I have always been disappointed by the Crossover system because it failed to work with the very niche software I wish to use with it. It is very good with the mainstream office and business products, and other very widely used programs; those are not what I try to use with Crossover. It will be interesting to experiment with Crossover on Android, but as Han Solo says, "I have a bad feeling about this." ;-)

Keep in mind, though, that Accordance 12 is not designed for the touch interface. On Windows tablets, it's what I call "touch friendly," so texts will scroll with your finger, but basic mouseover functions such as crossover highlighting doesn't work well on Windows tablets that don't have an active/digital stylus. We will have an Android version of Accordance Mobile in 2017. 

• Like 2

Hi,

I was interested in this once, but it only works on Intel-based chips, not on ARM or other processors, so not on the majority of Android devices.

Of course, you could use a mouse if you got it to work.

Accordance in Linux (Ubuntu) flickered on my Dell and ASUS laptops, both with 64 bit Intel processors.

Regards,

Michel

Hi,

I was interested in this once, but it only works on Intel-based chips, not on ARM or other processors, so not on the majority of Android devices.

Of course, you could use a mouse if you got it to work.

Accordance in Linux (Ubuntu) flickered on my Dell and ASUS laptops, both with 64 bit Intel processors.

Regards,

Michel

In the article they wrote now with 64 bit support for the new version. But you are correct only for Intel-based chips.

More thoughts on Crosssover Linux and Acc:

I’ve experimented with Acc on Linux for the past year, in many distros and versions of Wine, and in Crossover. I’ve only tested in Crossover 15, not the new version 16, in Wine up to rc 2.0, and Acc 10 and 11.

I was testing whether I could use Acc in combination with BW for all my Bible study work flow. Re Accordance, I got it to work, but the text flickered when I moved the cursor. It was passable to use for my Hebrew Syntax searches, and I used it for almost 6 months that way.

What I want to mention is how BW worked very well in Wine and even better in Crossover. Now that I have a Mac mini and can run Crossover’s bottled version of BW for Mac, I can say that BW in Crossover Linux worked almost as well as the Mac bottled version, and both almost as well as BW in its native Windows environment. So, I believe the Crossover staff would be able to develop a very good bottled version of Acc for Linux. Then, one could run the full Acc version on an Android tablet running Linux, or on a Linux laptop or desktop.

I’ve heard some say, e.g., Dr. J., that a bottled version wouldn’t have all the features of the Windows version, and I agree. But, Linux users already accept the trade off that Windows programs will run with a bit of reduced functionality in Wine/Crossover. If the trade off in a bottled version was 5% or less like in the bottled version of BW, I think all Linux users would accept it.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had good luck with Crossover 16. I can't even get Accordance 11.04 to work properly with it. It works fairly well under PlayOnLinux. Any version beyond 11.04 hasn't ever worked properly for me.

• 1 month later...

Love to hear that Accordance Mobile would be rolled out to Android platform in 2017, that would be great.

I hear what you say, but how is "We will have an Android version of Accordance Mobile in 2017" not a promise?

Admittedly "2017" is very non-specific release date.

As a non-employee with no inside information, sometime 2017 seems very reasonable as they had a working android app at a conference back in November. Caveat I was not at said conference and do not know how fully functional or stable it was... but it was obviously along far enough to want to show it off... I am not a programer and do not know the thousands of ways I am sure something can go bad quickly.

Good luck on you android fans getting your app soon, even if we don't have any idea when it will be ready.

-dan

OK, I see where Rick Mansfield said that on December 20th. I was traveling that day or I would probably have asked him to qualify with a "We hope that."

Programming is not like baking a cake or having a baby, nor even like doing a car repair or service or growing plants in your garden. In all of these one can make a reasonable estimate as to the end of the process. Creating a new program is more like marching through uncharted territory where unexpected obstacles can appear at any point.

Our end point is to have a stable and functional app with the Accordance texts and at least the basic features. It won't be as far along as the iOS app is, but we'll keep working on it after release. And that will come when we judge that it is ready.

• Like 2