Repetitive Connect to Internet Time Waster

Enoch

A new bug has arisen in Accordance.  Now when one starts up Accordance there is an attempt for Accordance to take over one's computer & connect to the internet.  With VirusBarrier a window pops up with choices to select:

whether or not to allow Accordance to connect to the internet vs block the attempt,

& whether or not to allow it once or always

-- or block once or always.  

Probably one wants to retain the ability to connect for future upgrades, but selecting "block once," leads to having to do this 4 times before it gives up. 4 times the window pops up to block vs allow.

Please eliminate this time-wasting bug.

This is not a bug; nor is it new. Whenever you launch Accordance, there is a quick check on the internet to verify your account. The best solution is to select "Always" in VirusBarrier. 

• Like 2

I thought a major feature of Accordance was that you didn't need an Internet connection, except to install and download modules. Now we do?

I think it only checks for updates you do not need the internet to use what you have.

Check your "update" settings in the preference file and perhaps make it check less often.

See attached.

Dave

post-32900-0-23453600-1482430944_thumb.jpg

Edited by dlrude
  • Like 1

So I know Accordance need to check by the initial launch. After it does only check if you have a payplan, then it checks all weeks.

I thought a major feature of Accordance was that you didn't need an Internet connection, except to install and download modules.

Like many programs such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, any application downloaded from Mac App Store or Windows Store, and even those from some of our competitors, Accordance will run a quick account check to verify that you are the licensed user. Unlike many of the programs I just mentioned, though, if there is no internet connection, Accordance will still continue to run as normal. However, I don't think this can be done indefinitely. Eventually a verification will have to be made, but when that would have to occur, I don't know. 

Now we do?

Not Now as in this is something new. This has been in place for quite a while. I'm guessing it was implemented in v. 10 or 11, but I really don't know off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

If what you say is true, it is deeply disturbing. On the Accordance System Requirement page it says "Access to internet is required to download and validate modules, but not during normal use of the program."

https://www.accordancebible.com/System-Requirements

So, please clarify. 

Regards,

Michel

Michel, Accordance will attempt to connect online, but if it fails, it is fine.  Thus, the statement is still very true.  Only users on payment plans or other special circumstances require access, and will have been informed about it.  For all normal users, the check is an optional one.

• Like 3

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the clarification. From your previous posts I thought this was where you stood on the issue. And much of my recommendation of Accordance is based on the fact you don't need Internet for the desktop or mobile version. Well done.

Regards,

Michel

Many, many apps use the internet for connectivity.  You are writing these posts using a web browser that talks on the internet.  Why are you comfortable trusting Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Others, but not Accordance?  It is not 'taking over computers' and cannot 'take over computers'.  It is simply communicating with a webserver, like hundreds of other apps on your computer currently do.

• Like 1

Michel, Accordance will attempt to connect online, but if it fails, it is fine.  Thus, the statement is still very true.  Only users on payment plans or other special circumstances require access, and will have been informed about it.  For all normal users, the check is an optional one.

Joel said: "Only users on payment plans or other special circumstances require access, and will have been informed about it.  For all normal users, the check is an optional one." 

I am not on a payment plan nor do I have any known special circumstances requiring Accordance to connect to the internet.  Also, I have not been informed about it.  I have found no option to stop this repetitive attempt of Accordance to access the internet.

Actually this is a bug in the sense of bugging customers who want privacy & don't want Accordance taking over their computers (the extent to which other programs like browsers take over the computer is irrelevant -- and I do not trust man or any human organization, as Jeremiah puts a curse on trusting in man).   I don't want to block Accordance always because I need to upgrade from time to time, when I am ready to do so.  So I am clicking on block once with VirusBarrier.   But Accordance required me to do that 5 times in a row the last time I activated Accordance, 5 block onces was required before it gave up & let me use Accordance.  Now I find that if I leave Accordance on in the background as I surf the internet, from time to time the annoying pop up arises that Accordance is trying to connect to the internet & again I have to click on block once.

This is a very new problem in my experience.

Please, I ask you to stop this annoyance.

Edited by Enoch

Please see my above post:

Many, many apps use the internet for connectivity.  You are writing these posts using a web browser that talks on the internet.  Why are you comfortable trusting Safari/Firefox/Chrome/Others, but not Accordance?  It is not 'taking over computers' and cannot 'take over computers'.  It is simply communicating with a webserver, like hundreds of other apps on your computer currently do.

• Like 1

You don't by chance have dropbox sync enabled? This could be another reason Accordance is checking the internet.

• 1 month later...

I finally gave up & just blocked Accordance altogether with Net Barrier.  It was popping up way too much, even when I was not using Accordance, just had it on in the background (as is convenient).  So now I have to unblock Accordance when I want to check for upgrades or load a purchase.  Again, I request that you remove this distracting time-waster.  I have been using Accordance for years without this inconvenience.

I've never once had that issue. I use accordance for long stretches without internet connectivity. Seems to me the problem is wth your antivirus/firewall.

Seems to me these problems simply go away enabling Accordance access, and then by disconnecting right before you start it.

If that's too cumbersome, find the netblocks for Accordance, blackhole them on the router or firewall software, and disable that rule when you want to update.

I started Accordance today on my Windows 8.1 laptop and left it running while I disconnected from the internet for 2-3 hours and got zero warnings.

Well okay I got one when I attempted to run utilities->content update it told me I had no internet.

I don't use drop box, I don't even know (or care) what it is.

Just offering a "data point"

Dave

I've never once had that issue. I use accordance for long stretches without internet connectivity. Seems to me the problem is wth your antivirus/firewall.

No, the problem is not with my firewall.  The problem is that Accordance is ever trying to connect to the internet when I don't want it to do that unless I am upgrading.  Accordance continues to try to take over my computer against my will.  The firewall does what it is supposed to & blocks Accordance, but I get a pop up window inquiring if Accordance should be allowed. And after I say no once, it doesn't take no for an answer but continues to try, even popping up when I am doing other things, over & over.  So I have had to permanently block Accordance, then if I want to upgrade, unblock Accordance.  This is a time-waster.  Accordance should not be trying to connect to the internet when I have not directed Accordance to do that, like with a check for upgrade.

Enoch, what do you have these preferences set to?

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.30.14 PM.png

Enoch, what do you have these preferences set to?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-02-16 at 1.30.14 PM.png

THANKS a million Mithril Mansfield.  I checked it out & found it was set to automatically check for updates daily though I am confident I never checked that option.   So, I unchecked that.  So now I expect to live happily ever after.  

Mucho thanks