Improve process to view maps, charts, & photos within tool resources

Rick Ausdahl

Currently, when viewing tool resources containing maps, charts, and photos, clicking on one of these items opens a pop-up window that provides a larger display of the item.  That's nice... but the problem is, the item may still be too small to meet my viewing needs and the pop-up window cannot be resized.

I know you can zoom in on the object within the pop-up window, but that can then require a lot of scrolling (up, down, left, and right) due to the small size of the pop-up window.  And even worse, with the Windows version of Accordance, attempting to scroll within that pop-up window results in very choppy movement and all kinds of flickering and flashes with an affect on the eyes similar to trying to watch a strobe light.  Another issue with the pop-up window is that selecting the left and right arrows to view the previous or next item in the resource does not cleanly display the items--instead, the window refreshes 2 to 4 times as it attempts to display the new item, again resulting in a very unpleasant viewing experience.

I also know that from the pop-up window you can open the item in a new zone.  But the new zone can be (and often is) even smaller than the pop-up window was, requiring an additional step of amplifying that zone.  And even after the zone has been amplified, the item can still be fairly small, and often leaves me having to zoom in on the item.  Fortunately, scrolling when zoomed in on an item in a new zone doesn't cause a lot of flickering and flashes, but movement of the item is still quite choppy.  In general, this seems like a lot of unnecessary and time consuming steps just to view a larger image of the map, chart, or photo.

I would like to see one or more ways of adjusting the size of the pop-up window.  For example, a preference setting for the window size, and/or the ability to grab and resize the pop-up window or an option on the pop-up window to simply display the item at full-screen size.  I would also like to see scrolling in the pop-up window fixed on the Windows version of Accordance to eliminate all the flickering and flashing that occurs when scrolling in that window, AND to eliminate the multiple refresh/repaint sweeps that currently take place in that window when moving from one item to another.

Lastly, I would like to see additional zoom method options in both the pop-up window and the new zone if choosing to open the item that way.  In most windows apps, there are at least two other ways to zoom in and out on an item other than multiple clicks of a + or - symbol.  One is using two-finger pinch and open motions on a mouse track-pad (or using the scroll wheel on an actual mouse).  The other is using the CTRL+ option to zoom in, CTRL- to zoom out, and CTRL0 to reset the item to 100%.  CTRL+ and CTRL- work in Accordance (and I'm thankful for that), but CTRL0 does not.

I just purchased the Graphics Pro add-on, and I find the current process for viewing all these wonderful maps, charts, and photos painfully cumbersome and hard on the eyes.

Please consider improving this process.

Thanks!  B)

Edited by Rick Ausdahl
  • Like 2

This is something I would like to see as well.  A simple way... or any way... to go from the thumb nail picture to full screen within Accordance.

• Like 2

This is one area where the ios version really shine over the full fat version.

Single tap on an image and it makes it full screen and then you can swipe to go through the images skipping any intervening text. This Brilliant feature was added in the last update, many thanks, especially beautiful on the higher res screens.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

• 9 months later...

Can someone from Accordance comment on whether or not anything is in the works to address these issues as noted in the original post?