Biblical references in User Tools

pbp

Peace to all!
I have since time a problem that most probably is a stupid one, but I didn't find any way to solve it by myself. I hope I can explain properly the problem in my poor English
In User tool I need to create some biblical links and quotations for non contiguous verses.
For instance I need to create a link to this biblical reference: Lk 21: 25-28.34-36 (Gospel of Luke, chapter 21, verse 25-28 AND 34-36). I cannot find a way to do it.
I've tried with the comma (,)25-28,34-36 and doesn't work (says: this reference has an ambiguous verse range. Multiple verse ranges should be separated by a semicolon). I try with a semicolon and the result is the same: "Commas or semicolon cannot be part of the selected verse reference". The same with the "period".

Where am I wrong?

Thank you for our advice

Pierbattista

Attention, do not mix the different verse writings.

Unfortunately I'm not on the Mac but Luke 21:25-28, 34-36 must work. So no space after : but one after the comma. Or european. Luke 21,25-28.34-36 but then you have to activate the european verse ...

No, it doesn't work. I tried also this (space after comma). It gives me the same error (this reference has an ambiguous verse range. Multiple verse ranges should be separated by a semicolon).

Mmh I tested my first solution on the Notes in Accordance Mobile and it works perfect.

Go to preferences and check SBL and european style. Maybe this helps.

The issue might well be which 'button' you are using to generate the link. See the screen shot below:

post-30494-0-10688300-1482937361_thumb.png

If you use the 'automatically link all references' button (blue arrows) what you get is the 'two' references automatically separated with a space (i.e. it does not include the comma)

If you use the 'create or edit link' button it treats the whole reference as the link and includes the comma. This button only does 'simple' reference links. If you want to link it with this button it would have to be a two stage process. Link the first part before the comma. Then link the second part after the comma (make sure you add the book name into the link but not to the display).

So for scripture references always use the 'link all' button

Edited by Steve King

Thank you Steve. If I do as you suggest, it works perfectly, but it is not what I want. In this way I have two separated quotations, and in order to see them, I need to click twice. While I would like to have one text, with these verse only. Maybe I am asking an impossible thing (but in the normal search pane it works perfectly).

Thank you anyway

Pierbattista

To be more precise. When I create the link I do not find problems. When I want to save (update) gives me error.

I do not think it will do what you want it to. If you look at the cross reference modules (e.g. Treasury of Scripture Knowledge) then you will find that it separates out references like this (i.e. you have to look at the two parts separately when displaying them.)

When you create a link it does not check that it will work - it only does that when you attempt to update. Maybe because there are many links that it will allow you to create, not just scripture links. And it does say its if for simple links on the information tip for the button.

It's worth mentioning though that if you have a link like this :

Isa 43:1-4, 6-7

If you click in the first link and drag through to the second and release it will pop up the text with both parts in the search. So there is no need to click twice. So in this example, click between I and s and drag to between 6 and 7 and release.

Tx

D

Yes - good point Daniel. Forgot about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's alright to hop aboard this thread. I could have started a fresh one, but my issue is identical to the OP.

It really seems to me that there's an inconsistency between user notes and user tools, on this very point. In a user note I can create a link that separates non-contiguous verses by commas. I get no error messages about semicolons. And - clicking on the link opens a pane with the text of the verses minus those omitted in the reference. Whereas I can't do that in a user tool. I get a different result using the same string. Clicking on the link in the tool only gives me one range, not the two or three that I want.

Surely this is an inconsistency? And it does reduce the usefulness of tools for me.

I hope it's alright to hop aboard this thread. I could have started a fresh one, but my issue is identical to the OP.

It really seems to me that there's an inconsistency between user notes and user tools, on this very point. In a user note I can create a link that separates non-contiguous verses by commas. I get no error messages about semicolons. And - clicking on the link opens a pane with the text of the verses minus those omitted in the reference. Whereas I can't do that in a user tool. I get a different result using the same string. Clicking on the link in the tool only gives me one range, not the two or three that I want.

Surely this is an inconsistency? And it does reduce the usefulness of tools for me.

That can good be. There is also an inconsistency in the German Books abbreviation. The User Notes support much more than the User Tools.