Set a Default Color Scheme for the Atlas

Rick Ausdahl

Is there a way to set a default color scheme for the Atlas so that you can just open it in one step instead of always having to go through the two-step process of selecting the Atlas and then choosing a color scheme?  The great majority of the time, for study purposes I find the light brown color scheme works best for me and I'd just like to be able to select the Atlas and have it open in that color scheme.  I've poked around looking for a default setting but haven't found one.

How are you opening the Atlas?

I've used three options:  Selecting it from the tool bar, selecting it from the library, and right-clicking on a location within a textual resource, then using the Lookup/Map option.

Edited by Rick Ausdahl

If you drag your preferred color scheme to the top of the Atlas section of the Library, it will be come the default when opening via the right-click or Library search.  I hope this helps!

If you drag your preferred color scheme to the top of the Atlas section of the Library, it will be come the default when opening via the right-click or Library search.  I hope this helps!

Thank you, Joel.  That does help--definitely a step in the right direction.  Right-clicking on a location in a textual resource and doing a map lookup "does" now open the Atlas with my preferred color scheme, so I appreciate that.  B) 

But just to be sure I'm not missing something, accessing the Atlas any other way still requires the two-step process of selecting the Atlas and then selecting the preferred color-scheme--right?  I.e. no way to open the Atlas to the desired color scheme via the Library or the tool bar with just one click. 

I believe you are correct, though frankly I never noticed it - while I usually default to Light Browns, every now and then I like to use a different one, and i don't mind the minor extra choice.  I personally always do New Tab -> Map -> Light Browns, which is just a one click process.

What are your settings for the Atlas in preferences? I prefer the Light Colors, so here's how I have mine set up (see screenshot below).

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.16.03 AM.png

What are your settings for the Atlas in preferences? I prefer the Light Colors, so here's how I have mine set up (see screenshot below).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.16.03 AM.png

Thanks, R. Mansfield!  I checked and the default was set to colors, so I changed it to light browns.  I was hopeful that would allow the Atlas to be opened with a single click, but it didn't change anything.  Even though preferences are set, actually opening the Atlas is still either a two-step or a three-step process.

• It's two steps if opening from either the Library or the Tool Bar.  I.e. select the Atlas, then select a color (even though the color is already set in the preferences).
  • It's three steps if opening by selecting a location in a text.  I.e. right click on the location, select the "Lookup" option, select the "Map" option.
  • It's three steps if opening via a new tab.  I.e. Select the "+" for the new tab, select the "Map" option, select a color (even though the color is already set in the preferences).

I just don't understand why selecting the Atlas from either the Library or the Tool Bar requires the subsequent action of choosing a color, rather than just opening the Atlas with the color choice set in the preferences (or the color moved to the top of the color option list as Joel suggested).  Same goes for opening the Atlas via the new tab option.  After the second step of selecting "Map" for that new tab, why not just open the Atlas at that point using the customers chosen color preference, rather than requiring him/her to again select a color choice. That would at least cut that process from three steps to two.

What is the purpose of being able to set a color default or color priority, if you still have to specify the color every time you want to view the Atlas?  :unsure:

PS:  I hope I'm not coming across as ungrateful.  You and Joel have both been very kind and I appreciate your suggestions as I wasn't aware of those options.  It just appears to be an Accordance programming logic sequence that to me seems counter-productive.  I must be missing something.  :blink:  :)  :blink:

Edited by Rick Ausdahl

Rick, so with the preferences set to a default color, if you choose an Atlas link in places like the Info Pane or a contextual menu, the map will automatically appear according to your preferences. So, some places give you an option and some go to your default. I would suggest the options definitely need to be available in the Library which should display everything available to you. And the menu is a textual mirror of the Library.

Rick, so with the preferences set to a default color, if you choose an Atlas link in places like the Info Pane or a contextual menu, the map will automatically appear according to your preferences. So, some places give you an option and some go to your default. I would suggest the options definitely need to be available in the Library which should display everything available to you. And the menu is a textual mirror of the Library.

Thanks again, Rick!

I haven't encountered the Atlas as an option in contextual menus (I've only seen the "Map" option which does require a color selection), and I hadn't been using the Info Pane so hadn't tried it from there before.  But "Yes!", selecting a location from the Atlas section of the Info Pane does open the Atlas with a single click to that location and in the desired color scheme, so that's definitely a step in the right direction.  I don't know if it works as a result of setting the desired color scheme as the default as you suggested, or if it's because I had moved the desired color scheme to the top of the color list as Joel suggested--but that's the behavior I've been looking for.  I haven't been using the info pane because I wanted my entire screen area used for the text resource and the Atlas, but it's nice to know its an option.  :)

To clarify, I never meant to suggest people should not have the option of seeing the color list if they want it when selecting the Atlas.  I just wanted a preference setting that would let me choose whether or not to see the color list when selecting the Atlas, and if the preference was set to not display the list, that Accordance would then open the Atlas with a single click, to the default color scheme previously selected by the customer.  It's not as if the customer would be stuck with that, because if in a specific instance, a different color was wanted, it could easily be changed after the Atlas opened.  And if the customer wanted to use a different default for a period of time, he/she could always change that in the preferences.

So no changes/harm done to those who like it as it is.  Just an option for those who would prefer to streamline their Atlas use.   

Edited by Rick Ausdahl