Crashing on Updates and Searches

joelmadasu

For a few weeks now, Accordance is been crashing while doing syntax searches, and while downloading updates on modules. How do I compile the data and send it to figure out the problem?

Hi Joel,

I would expect that you would either get a pop up showing the crash dump in a send-to-Apple kind of dialog in some cases, and in others the Console would pop up with a simple crash dump would pop up. Either of those can simply be zipped (in the case of the large one) or pasted into a bug report on the forum. You can cut and paste the large report into the forum too, but sometimes I've had some trouble with getting it into one post - some limit or something. You'll need to provide a description of what you were doing at the time, which I realize it not as easy to recapture as one might hope after a sudden crash - one minute you are thinking about morphology and syntax and whether a perfect really means what you think, the next you have a blank screen and a disoriented few moments trying to think what to do next. In any case a description of whatever you can remember helps in trying to repro. the issue. The problem I have found is that sometimes I've been changing a query in various ways. I don't know then what to include or not and what might be relevant, even if I can remember exactly what I did and what order I did it in. In any case I try to give some background. If the failure is reproducible by a specific set of steps include them and note that it's reproducible. Oaktree may well want the query and modules in use at the time to try to repro. it so I try at least to screen capture the query in such cases.

Incidentally if the Console does not pop up automatically you can manually load it and find the crash report. I can get details on how when I get home tonight if you need it.

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

I would expect that you would either get a pop up showing the crash dump in a send-to-Apple kind of dialog in some cases, and in others the Console would pop up with a simple crash dump would pop up. 

Yes, I did! I get these popups, but I close them and try to reopen immediately because I don't want to lose focus on what I was doing.

one minute you are thinking about morphology and syntax and whether a perfect really means what you think

Exactly :) I have been going through all those occurrences from your workspace you sent, and from Pete's suggestions, and from my end.

I do have a couple of workspaces open. Maybe this is what causing the issue, I am not sure. But, besides crashing when I update resources, it crashes when I change/alter construct searches. 

For example, I have a workspace set up to search w-qatal + null, (boom, crashes), then I tried w-qatal +X within the same workspace (another boom), then I changed to find occurrences in certain clause types, like independent only, it crashes. 

I will try to copy the popup message next time. 

Thank you for willing to help!

I'm afraid there really is nothing for it but to interrupt what you're doing and log the issue. Or make notes somewhere sufficient to do so later.

At the moment the only consistently reproducible construct crash I know of is where you are adding an element to a construct and you hit cancel in the dialog instead of allowing it to be added. That crashes quite consistently and I've reported several examples. Other than that it is for me much more infrequent than it seems to be for you though I still get them on Mac and Windows at times.

Thx

D