Folders for Stacks in Library

Paul Meiklejohn

I would love the ability to have a better substructure within My Stuff/ Library/Stacks.  My folder has very quickly become cluttered, with different themes, sermon series and personals studies.  I tried creating a new folder structure in my Mac Finder but Accordance only reads the Accordance Files/Stacks root folder. 

Having he ability create new folders would enable me to keep things very tidy by topic or date.  

Thank you.

• Like 3

Good idea! 

• Like 1

Ive been thinking about this and am not sure we'd be satisfied with just folders at the root but think the next request would be for folders within folders.

Eg root folder of sermon and then being a good anglican, three sub folders for years a, b and c. With the stacks called easter and epiphany 3 etc.

Currently i am reading a book by kenneth bailey and my stack is already getting out of hand but i could imagine having a root folder called books and then sub folders for each refernce work such as the good shepherd or ntw paul & faithfulness or ntw people of god

Thoughts?

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Fraser, I think once we have have a variable folder system then the structure would be limitless.  I honestly think that being able to move the Stacks folder to any location within the Apple Finder would be a big plus for me.  Finally, the ability to sync across computers would completely transform its usability. 

Addition: It would be nice if we could hide the citation data at the bottom of each clip.  This would be really helpful when we are reading a stand alone book, (like Fraser's example above), then we could simply read over over all our clips without distraction.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts in the near future....

Paul.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Perhaps it would be too great a programming effort, but ideally for me the Library pane would have the following folder capabilities:

1. Primary Folders

2. Subfolders

3. Selectable Visibility

By selectable visibility I mean the ability for the user to easily show or hide any folder or resource. One of my hobbies is computer-based orchestral music. One of my primary tools is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) program called Cubase. DAWs are built around individual instrument tracks, which for orchestral work can run into the hundreds. They share a common problem with Accordance: users find it inherently difficult to navigate a long, potentially complex list of tracks (resources). Cubase has track folders and subfolders to help the user organize his tracks. Accordance users also find this a big help.

But Cubase several versions ago introduced a Visibility Pane which can easily be called up, closed, or kept open by the user. This pane contains a list in order of the folders, subfolders and tracks contained in the current setup. Next to each item in the list is a checkbox. Cubase displays all items by default, but if you "uncheck" an item, it becomes hidden. It's still "there," but you can't see it. If you uncheck a subfolder, all items in it are unchecked. If you uncheck a primary folder, all subfolders and items it contains are hidden. The user has free access to check or uncheck whatever he likes in the entire structure. This makes the program immensely more usable for complex work. You can make visible only what you want to work on at the time and hide what you don't need to see.

Accordance would benefit greatly from such a capability. The similarity of the problem with Cubase is, to me, striking.

Here's a YouTube video tutorial on what was at that time a new feature in Cubase. It will give you a clear idea of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNql0U96tW0

• Like 1

So john, are you rejoicing at the long expected dorico Finally being released?

;o)

But might take this off topic

;o(

Edited by ukfraser

ukfraser, sent you a PM.